• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video imported too dark (dark region turned into black)

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for solution (if there is any) for my problem:
The video I took with Nikon D5000 (.AVI), gets too dark in the way, the darkest regions are read as one black color.
I attach 3 screenshots:
First 2 show the comparison between After Effects (also tried other Adobe programs, it's the same) and Media Player Classic (and it's like this in all the players and even Vegas software runs it well).
On the 3rd screenshot you can see what happens when I add some brightness or stuff (so to show you there is no information left on the left on the screen).

I tried changing the Color mode in the composition options - it runs "the brightest" at (None) - any other option just turns it even darker.
I think I checked all the options in the program I know, and found nothing.
It's just like when importing a video, AE automatically gets "wrong" RGB range, and it converts all darkest regions into black. (And overall video is a bit darker too).

Of course I have all FX off, and I tried it on new projects/compositions, and it's all the same.

I tried reinstalling the software, I reinstalled all the codecs - nothing.
Only after rendering the video in Vegas into other format, AE reads it better.
But I have quite too much of the stuff, to re-render all of it before even starting to work.

Is there any option to make AE read it well? Or is it something wrong with codecs as it loses all the information from the darkest parts?
Anybody could help with some solution?

Greets,
Thomas.

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were the camera settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are not really many settings in Nikon D5000.
That was 24fps 720p video saved in AVI.

But however it may be, in all the other software I checked, it worked.
Moreover - I sent that file to a friend of mine who uses AE too, and it was all correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem.  I am importing video shot on an EOS R5 and was shot at night and iso set to 51200.  When i view it on. FCP, Quicktime and in camera it is grainy but light enough to see some detail.  When I import it to After Effects it darkens significatantly and most of the grain is gone.  Its almost like adobe is applying effects on import.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines