Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS5 12.1 x64

on an iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch Late 2014

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32Gb 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

I have sporadically used PS and have lost my knowledge base on it.  I have taken a panoramic shot 360 degrees, using a Canon 5D MKIII on a tripod.  I then took the 12 files in raw format and used the File>Automate>Photomerge function to stitch together a panoramic shot.  I also used the default AUTO radio button within the Photomerge to create.  The shot turned out great, but it was an extremely large file as the result, 1.3 GB as the .PSB.  I used Photoshop to then SAVE AS, but I only get 3 options, Large Document Format (PSB), Photoshop Raw (RAW), or TIFF.  I chose TIFF with LZW image compression, Interleaved (RGBRGB) pixel order, Macintosh byte order, and no layer compression.  This gets the file down to 400+ Mb.

I cannot figure out in PS how to reduce the size of this file.  I want to use this to post online for others to view and need to get this down to a couple of Mb.  It's already 8 bit, but it does not give me an option to save as a JPEG in PS.  I only get the 3 options above, no matter what I do.  I also have a copy of Lightroom and I have used the Export function in there to export as a JPEG, but that file will not open PS.  I get the error message "Could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the JPEG data" when attempting to open.  The JPEG created this way is 84 Mb.  My thought process was open in PS and use the Save for web to reduce the size.

I don't know if this is something I just can't do, or something I've forgotten how to do.  When I search the web for help, all i can find is use the Save As function in PS to save as JPEG, but as previously stated, I don't see JPEG as one of my options when trying to save as.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

You need to get the image size down to less than 30,000 pixels wide x 30,000 pixels high before you will be able to save as JPG in Photoshop.

Choose Image > Image Size and leave the check mark on Resample.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the file have several layers? With CS5, I think you have to flatten the file to be able to save as jpg. (jpgs can't have layers)

So I suggest that you first make a copy of the file (File > Duplicate), and then flatten the copy.

To post this image online, you have to reduce the pixel dimensions considerably. Since this is a panorama, I suggest that you try something like 2500 pixels on the long side, use Image > Image size to do this.

Now you can use Save for web to create a jpg.

Try a quality setting of 60, and make sure to check Convert to sRGB and Embed profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to get the image size down to less than 30,000 pixels wide x 30,000 pixels high before you will be able to save as JPG in Photoshop.

Choose Image > Image Size and leave the check mark on Resample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right! Completely forgot about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. It's a long standing bug in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara,

That did it thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! Glad the problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines