• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5.1 - Camera Raw and DNG Converter?

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding a few things with my version of Photoshop, CS5.1. I understand that Photoshop CS5.1 only supports up to Camera Raw version 6.7. If I have a camera that needs a Camera Raw version higher than 6.7, I would need to use the DNG Converter, is this correct?

What version of DNG Converter does Photoshop CS5.1 support? Also, my current version of Camera Raw is 6.3. Is there any reason to update Camera Raw to 6.7 when I can just use the DNG Converter?

I say this because, if I update my current version of Camera Raw, 6.3 to 6.7, the Adobe Application Manager gets installed. When this happens, the Adobe Application Manager becomes a start menu program. If I were to click on the Adobe Application Manager in the start menu, it turns into Adobe Creative Cloud. (I assume the Adobe Application Manager was replaced with the Adobe Creative Cloud.)

I don't ever plan to become a Creative Cloud member, so I don't really want the application installed on my computer. That means I don't want the Application Manager installed on my computer either since it turns into Creative Cloud if I click on it. Can I some how update my Camera Raw to 6.7 alone, with installing the Adobe Application Manager?

Last, I don't know when I will ever get around to purchasing a new $500-$1000 camera. Maybe, in a few years. At that point, will I most likely have to use the DNG Converter, or does Camera Raw 6.3, 6.7 still support new cameras? Is it better to have the latest version of Camera Raw instead of using the DNG Converter? I assume this is true, but you would need to have the latest version of Photoshop and be a Creative Cloud member.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Hi

Camera Raw does get updates but they need newer versions of Photoshop to use them.

You can use the latest, free, version of the DNG convertor to convert raw files to the DNG file type. There is no loss in that process and you can open them with your version of camera raw. Of course you will not get the benefit of the latest raw processing that comes with newer versions of camera raw.

You can download the DNG convertor here

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

You can do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Camera Raw does get updates but they need newer versions of Photoshop to use them.

You can use the latest, free, version of the DNG convertor to convert raw files to the DNG file type. There is no loss in that process and you can open them with your version of camera raw. Of course you will not get the benefit of the latest raw processing that comes with newer versions of camera raw.

You can download the DNG convertor here

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

You can download the 6.7 camera raw plug in here :

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Camera Raw 6.7 Update

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Camera Raw does get updates but they need newer versions of Photoshop to use them.

You can use the latest, free, version of the DNG convertor to convert raw files to the DNG file type. There is no loss in that process and you can open them with your version of camera raw. Of course you will not get the benefit of the latest raw processing that comes with newer versions of camera raw."

Understood and thanks. Thanks for the links as well. Are you saying that Photoshop CS5.1 will always support the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter? Is there any reason for me to update my current, Camera Raw 6.3 to 6.7, if I'm just going to be using the DNG Converter anyway? I would assume Camera Raw 6.7 does not support most of the brand new cameras out there.

By using the link you have provided, if I were to install the Camera Raw 6.7 update, will Adobe Application Manager or Adobe Creative Cloud get installed also?

Last, does this Camera Raw 6.7 update include a version of the DNG Converter, it looks like it does?

Thanks,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 10.1

This appears to be the DNG Converter, version 10.1. Is this the latest DNG version? Do I need a prior version installed first before installing this version? Does this come with a version of Camera Raw? If you scroll down the page some, in the file information window, it says "Product - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will install the latest DNG convertor - no prior version necessary. It does not come with camera raw 10.1.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

If you convert a raw file to DNG then any version of camera raw that can open a DNG file will work. That includes 6.3 and 6.7.  I have not used the link , as I have the latest CC installed here, so I do not know whether it will install anything other than the plug in. I would be surprised if the direct link installed other software. Remember though, this is a user to user forum and  I do not work for Adobe.

You can see which cameras are supported with different versions of camera raw here:

Adobe Camera Raw

The camera raw link will give you the version camera raw and the DNG convertor available at the time 6.7 was released. Use the other link I gave for the latest version of the DNG convertor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I installed the Camera Raw 6.7 manual update successfully and it did not install the Application Manager! However, when I go to check for updates inside Photoshop CS5.1, is still offers the damn Application Manger. I guess I will just never install the Application Manager since I would never have a reason to. I wouldn't really mind installing the Application Manager if it did not turn into CC when I click on it. Do you know why this happens?

I also installed the DNG Converter, version 10.1 successfully and this only results in a new start menu program, inside the Adobe folder. The DNG Converter doesn't even appear in the control panel under programs. That seems strange, but I'm okay with it.

I guess I'm on my way now, I have the most up to date version of Camera Raw allowed by my version of Photoshop CS5.1 and the most current version of the DNG Converter. I assume it's better for me to have Camera Raw version 6.7 than 6.3, would you agree? Installing Camera Raw 6.7 manually is a work around for people who do not want the Application Manger installed also. 

Thanks,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm very particular with installations. I try to keep my PC programs clean and simple, in case you couldn't tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines