• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop Video Editing Hard Drive Setup

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I am familiar with the Generic Guideline for Disk Setup, which is what I used to for my desktop setup, what are some recommended hard drive setups for video editing on a MacBook pro when working away from home?

Is it worth carrying around and plugging in multiple external hard drives for the following? cache, media storage, previews, exports, etc.

2017 MPB

i7 2.9

560 4GB Video Card

1TB SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO you really do not need any external drirves with that new super speed SSD.  I am not a mac person but I have done testing on my experimental desktop and my PC benchmark shows that with the 3000 MHz class of storage the old hard disk rules of 4 to 5 disks are obsolete.  With 10 to 20 times the performance of these new devices over hard disk drives Premiere Pro works fine at least in the PC environment.  Just make sure you do not have all sorts of processes running while editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do decide that you want one external, such as for backups, consider a dock and a bare drive

A possibility is this USB3 dock with fan to swap drives http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use both those, I have a Star Tech for using my occasional old hard drive archive.  Also I have fallen in love with the Samsung T series portable USB SSD's. I have one of each T1, T3, and now a T5.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines