• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.7.1 troubles

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this is not about CC or CC classic.  I am hoping that I don't have to upgrade from 5.7.1 before I can ask a question... or at least vent a bit. 

I converted from a windows machine to an IMac  (El Capitan) a little over a year ago,  because I REALLY wanted that big retina display and had heard that Apple products had less virus and crash issues.  But now, for the first time, I have been having some major challenges importing some of my images into Lightroom.  With my windows machine, I was able to switch all of my library over from Picasa to LR quite easily, and subsequent LR software updates also went smoothly.

But the Apple device has been one thing after another.

First thing that happened--I was able finally to get a bunch of files to show up in LR after transfer, but all of the edits are missing.  I would like to find out where they are, but at least I know I still have the raw files.

The second more recent problem is that I seemed to have lost a whole series of shots in Lightroom, (probably around 1000) from our Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon trip last year. (downloaded direct from camera which seems to be the only thing that works right...)  I am positive I had them in Lightroom and did a huge load of editing last fall and early this year, especially from the rain day at North Rim.  But could not locate them anywhere in my LR files.

So, I decided to just reimport from my computer files, and the import did not work at all.  Same routine I have followed for about 4 years, but... nothing.

As indicated, I do not have any problem downloading images from my camera into my external storage drive, and having them show up in LR.  But importing files from my drives and desktop seems to be just a big mess. 

I am feeling quite nervous about this because I have thousands of edited images that, as you can imagine, are very dear to me and took a long time to complete. 

The technical stuff just baffles me. That long list of selections and decisions you have to make , and the blanks you have to fill in when importing and exporting, confuses the heck out of me.  I feel like I have to go back for a PHD in order to figure out what it all means.  I have been mainly winging it or just keeping the same settings that my photographer brother has told me to use.

Same brother is scheduled to work with me on this tomorrow, but from 1,000 miles away, so it is not optimal.  I am hoping there might be some "aha!" insights from someone on this forum who has worked through similar problems, that will help us make headway tomorrow.  

I am just  a simple amateur photographer that wants to take nice photos and make them better. I don't want to have to answer questions that I don't have a clue about and wade into technical research that takes longer than a trip to Yellowstone.  This was all working fine until I switched to Mac.

I like Lightroom from an editing perspective because it is pretty intuitive  and more full featured than Picasa for the edits that I do.  And I don't have to deal with that confusing mask thing with PS Elements.  I never did figure that out despite buying 3 different software versions with all good intentions.  The last purchase went to Salvation Army without the seal ever being broken.

Yes, I did say I was technically challenged.....   Any kind words of advice?

Thanks,

Panicking Dale

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question, are you using the same catalog that you used before you switch computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is a good question, Jim, and illustrates my problem.  I don't really know exactly what a catalogue is, nor how to tell if it is different.  I just don't get the organizational conventions, naming conventions, separation of files and edits or any of the file management stuff that my brother has been trying to explain.   So I could have a multitude of catalogs and wouldn't even know it.   I get the editing portion for the most part, but the file management stuff.... ugh!  Is there a site that is like "Lightroom for dummies" that would explain all of this in understandable terms and walk me through step by step?    Sigh... I was doing so well with LR in Windows.  Maybe I was just lucky.   Thanks for responding to my note, by the way!

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While then, we had better back up a little bit. In reality, the catalog is the only file that Lightroom actually opens. Really! It is the only file Lightroom opens. It is a database. When images are imported in Lightroom, they are added as objects or records in that catalog, and all of the adjustments that you make to your images are stored in that catalog. No changes are ever applied directly to the image files themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that sounds familiar.    How do I find the original catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original catalog would be on the old computer in the Pictures folder in a Lightroom folder, and would have an extension, .lrcat.  But the only way you could effectively use that catalog on the new computer is that if the images are in the exact same folder structure. Otherwise, you are going to have a real challenge synchronizing the catalog with where the images are now located. There must be a coronation between the location of the images and the catalog. I will provide you a link to a written tutorial on how to transfer all of your work to a new computer. It might be worth your reading and reconsidering what you have done on your new computer.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim.   I have a feeling I will need to start from scratch.  As long as I don't mess up what isn't broken I'll be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help extract lost preview files from Lightroom 5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is well over two years old. I suspect it has long been forgotten by the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines