• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thoughts on this laptop hardware setup for Premiere Pro and Lightroom editing?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering purchasing a laptop to primarily edit video from my Fujifilm X Series cameras and Phantom 4 drone.  I will also be performing quite a bit of photo editing.  What are your thoughts on the below setup from Ava Direct?  Is there anything that is overkill?  Perhaps I need to increase the RAM or the capacities of one or more of the SSDs?

• P750TM1-G Core™ Processor, Intel® Z370, 15.6" 4K QFHD Matte with G-Sync, MXM III Graphics, Laptop Barebone
  • Core™ i7-8700K Six-Core 3.7 - 4.7GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 for P750TM1-G MXM Graphics Card
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) HyperX Impact DDR4 2400MHz, CL14, Black, SO-DIMM Memory
  • 500GB 960 EVO 2280, 3200 / 1800 MB/s, V-NAND, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD (Media and Project Files)
  • 500GB 960 EVO 2280, 3200 / 1800 MB/s, V-NAND, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD (Cache and Scratch Files)
  • 500GB 850 EVO 7mm, 540 / 520 MB/s, 3D V-NAND, SATA 6Gb/s, 2.5-Inch Retail SSD (OS and Programs)
  • 1TB WD Black WD10JPLX, 7200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 32MB cache, 2.5-Inch OEM HDD (Final Storage)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit DVD OEM

I also own the Samsung T5 1TB External SSD.  Perhaps that should come into play on the laptop setup?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really is a super fantastic monster laptop.  A number of people have questioned the value of using a 4K display on a 15.6-inch screen.

I do hope you realize that you cannot really do any editing on battery power becuase on battery only they cut the performance significantly.

I do a lot of editing with all the project and media files on my Samsung T series portable SSD's so the project is almost instantly transportable to my desktop and back again to the laptop.

I doubt that you would ever need the 500 GB  for the Cache and Scratch files.  The Cache and Cache Database files are only temporary an should be regularly deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the reduction of power on battery-only.  Is this the case with most laptops/notebooks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the case with all current and recent laptops/notebooks. Otherwise, the battery may run out of power within minutes after becoming fully charged! That's nowhere near enough time to get any editing work done on such a laptop.

And that is all because there are serious trade-offs in size and weight, and therefore portability. Thus, the battery in laptops needed to be relatively small and light - but a laptop that uses a desktop CPU such as the one that you're looking at draws a voracious amount of power from such a small battery. Remember, powerful CPUs still need huge batteries that are so heavy (weighing tens, if not hundreds, of pounds for the battery alone) that you wouldn't want to lug it around for long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines