• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a eclipse shape with a mask auto attached?

Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched several videos where they make an ellipse with the select tool then fill it in with the gradient effect. that then creates a mask on the same layer. I cannot do that. How do I do that?  the video in question is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_LlR5WMZo at 1:45.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

When you say you are using the Select tool, are you making an elliptical marquee? You should be using the Shape tool (Be sure to set it to "Shape" in the Option Bar):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers panel has the elipse along with, from what ged2016 says is a color swatch. I need to know how to do this in PS CC.

prtscr_ps.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to change the color of the shape you need to click on the Set shape fill type icon

Untitled.jpg

But you don't need to do that according to the tutorial just hit the fx icon to add your Gradient Overlay

Untitled1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant a screenshot of your file in Photoshop.

After you created the elliptical Path what happens exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

That in not a normal mask, it's a Color Swatch icon on the left and a Vector Mask icon on the right, this has changed in the most recent versions of PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you say you are using the Select tool, are you making an elliptical marquee? You should be using the Shape tool (Be sure to set it to "Shape" in the Option Bar):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines