Exit

CF11 upsell key

Guide ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Folks,

Anyone know what a CF11 upsell key is?

Issue trying to upgrade CF11 Standard to Enterprise. Using CF11admin > System Information > New License then pasting in valid Enterprise key.

Prompts with:
ALERT! Important notice about last submission...
You cannot upgrade from a Standard license to Enterprise license. Use an upsell key or reinstall the server to upgrade.

Currently a CF11 Standard key is applied:

About ColdFusion »

Server Details 
Server Product  ColdFusion 
Version  11,0,04,293328 
Tomcat Version  7.0.54.0 
Edition  Standard   

Thanks in advance, Carl.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Upsell will be an upgrade key. When you purchase the license an upgrade is different from a full license. I guess they only allow the standard to enterprise direct upgrade with an upgrade license. If you just have a full CF 11 license then you will need to reinstall and use this key on installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upsell will be an upgrade key. When you purchase the license an upgrade is different from a full license. I guess they only allow the standard to enterprise direct upgrade with an upgrade license. If you just have a full CF 11 license then you will need to reinstall and use this key on installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True I needed to re-install CF11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to the party here, but I found I was able to edit the license.properties file (in the [coldfusion]\[instance]\lib folder, where instance is cfusion, if you have only that one default instance), and I copied the Standard key from the sn= value to the previous_sn= value, and then put the Ent key in as the sn= value. On restarting, my CF Std had switched to CF Ent. This was in CF2016, but I suspect the same would be true for CF 11.

And while it's a gray area talking about circumventing licensing warnings, I would say that if in both our cases we had a legit Ent key to go with our legit Std key, then swapping them is legit and should be as easy as dropping in the new key. Since it is not, this workaround seems reasonable.

I will say in closing, for anyone else who comes upon this and may try it, be sure to save a copy of your license.properties file before editing it, so that you could revert to it if needed. (Again, you would need to restart CF for any changes to take effect.)

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm that this approach did not work for me with CF2018.

And FWIW, with CF2021 having a totally different activation feature (where any license used is checked against a central Adobe CF licensing server), I don't know what one should expect if they tried to change a Std license key to Ent, with that (whether we would get that same error, or any at all). If anyone may try it and could share here, it may help others.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation