• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows sticking to Tools panel

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still using Photoshop CS5.1, recently moved it to a new iMac. Recently, Photoshop started a new behavior where, when I move an image's window across my screen, it will snap back to the far left, effectively docking next to the Tools panel. Sometimes, I can move it a little bit, and it might become freely moveable, or it might snap again when I move it again. I've tried restarting Photoshop, restarting my Mac, and changing the Window > Arrange menu options, but nothing seems to work. In twenty years of using Photoshop, I don't think I've ever seen it act like this before. It's very aggravating. Any clues about what's going on, or, even better, how to get it to stop?

Thanks,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you tried to reset your app. ?!

you can make that by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift / Cmd+Option+Shift when before opening your photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do that, and delete my settings, won't I lose anything I've done to customize or personalize my workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not lost any of your customization or custom workspace.
Just it will reset photoshop defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, I just restarted using the keyboard command to delete settings, and while my Photoshop has clearly reverted to defaults, the problem persists.

It sometimes seems that the first image I open can be moved freely, but the second or third gets stuck. But I haven't nailed down the details of the behavior yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a Print Screen of it ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You prevent it from being docked by pressing Cmd it will be floating window and it will not be docked if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw your advice about pressing Command to make it a floating window. It does seem that if I hold Cmd while dragging an image, it turns the snapping behavior off. But I don't like the snapping behavior at all. Is there a way to turn it off, or make all windows float?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can choose from Window > Arrange > Float all in windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Omar, but choosing Window > Arrange > Float all in windows hasn't made any difference at all. I can't seem to leave a checkmark next to that menu item, so I can't tell if it's even registering my selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I can move the images around just fine, but if I try to drag one image across to the other side of another image, it snaps back to its original place. But if I move the image slowly rather than quickly, it might stay in place instead of snapping back. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running High Sierra on the new iMac?

Hopefully, you will figure this out, but I do want to point out that when you upgrade your operating system but don't upgrade your applications you can run into very odd behaviors that we may not be able to help you with. CS5.1 was released in 2011, and was developed to be compatible with Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. High Sierra is Apple's sixth upgrade since Lion was released. There are certainly folks who tell us that they get the old applications running smoothly on a new OS, but others are not as fortunate.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Barb, I'm running macOS 10.13.2. I'm aware that CS5 apps are nearing the end of their viability in Apple's upgrade stream, but so far they're all still functional for me. The odd thing is that this behavior did not, so far as I can recall, begin as soon as I moved Photoshop to this new machine. One day, it just started happening, out of the blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been having the same problem. I think I may have solved it, but who knows. Right now it's working.

Go to: Preferences > Interface > and uncheck > Enable Floating Document Window Docking

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines