• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrating catalog - not enough space

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog to Lightroom CC. the catalog and all the photos are stored on my D: drive and the default storage location in Lightroom is also set to that drive. However, when I try to migrate I get the following error: "Lightroom CC needs enough space (102GB on Local Disk) to store previews and catalog info."

How do I force Lightroom CC to NOT use my C: drive (Local Disk) and only use the D:\ drive?

Out of curiosity, I tried installing Lightroom to the D: drive with no change to the situation.

I'm am running Windows 10 version 1703, build 15603.674. Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC are both up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

I know but this is the only thing you can change. For the rest it uses the disk where your account’s files reside. Btw in Lightroom CC you can’t store your originals on your machine. The originals are in the cloud. it can store local copies of your images for faster access so it doesn’t have to download them constantly but the ‘originals’ are not on your computer. This is governed by the slider and settings in preferences where you can tell it how much to retain as copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom CC's preferences you want to set the local storage to your D drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not possible. The only thing you can change is the location of where your original photos are saved, and that is not the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know but this is the only thing you can change. For the rest it uses the disk where your account’s files reside. Btw in Lightroom CC you can’t store your originals on your machine. The originals are in the cloud. it can store local copies of your images for faster access so it doesn’t have to download them constantly but the ‘originals’ are not on your computer. This is governed by the slider and settings in preferences where you can tell it how much to retain as copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My local storage in Lightroom CC is already set to the proper drive, which has far more free space than the 100GB it's requesting.

Unfortunate, this looked like a great solution to the headache of using Lightroom on two computers. This also confirms my suspicion that Lightroom CC on desktop was really an afterthought. Why not use the obvious solution of creating and storing smart previews in the cloud for editing everywhere?

Anyway, thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forgotten  wrote

Why not use the obvious solution of creating and storing smart previews in the cloud for editing everywhere?

This already exists. You do it from Lightroom Classic by syncing specific galleries and then you will have the smart previews for editing everywhere including on Lightroom CC on another computer. You just should NOT migrate your catalog to Lightroom CC and import in Lightroom Classic. This works like it has for quite a while. Think of Lightroom CC as simply a port of the iOS/android app to a desktop operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but you can't sync smart collections with mobile, so if I were to forget to add some photos to the collection I would be out of luck. I could have been more specific: what I want to be able to do is, have my entire photo catalog on my desktop computer - smart previews in the cloud - and be able to edit any image on my laptop in Lightroom CC, then come back to my desktop and use Lightroom Classic CC as needed. I thought Lightroom CC would do that, and while it's very close, it's not quite there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing smart collections from Classic would be great indeed. I would love that. Unfortunately it is a manual process currently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the tools are in place now it seems - maybe we'll get it someday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit this same problem when migrating - I have a huge d drive and small c drive and Lightroom CC wanted more space on the c drive (for the previous and catalog) even though the photos would be on d:

I managed to workaround by moving the AppData/Adobe folder to d: drive, and then creating a symlink from the c: drive AppData/Adobe location to the new location on d:

Migrate then worked fine, and previews, catalog and photos are now all on d drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Which system are you using? macOS? Windows? For which folders precisely did you create that symlink? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Richard. It's Windows. I moved the contents of AppData/Adobe/Lightroom CC folder to where i wanted it on my larger D: drive. I then created a symlink at AppData/Adobe/Lightroom CC on the C: drive to the new location on D:.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines