• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing-up Photos

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 5 years of photos that I want back-up as simply as possilbe.  Is there a simple way to have all my photos backed up on the cloud so they can easily be transferred to another computer?

Thanks

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Hi Mike,

I think it all depends on your workflow, what kind of edits (if any) do you want to do on the second computer and if you want the cost of Cloud Storage...... or even need it.

It's worth watching these videos to see if you want to go down the CC route:

The All-New Lightroom CC: An Overview - YouTube

Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC - Which Workflow is Best for You? - YouTube

And reading these threads:

Can I use both Lightroom CC and Classic?

Workflow for using Lightroom Classic with occasional use of Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

With Lightroom CC you can simply back all your photos up to the Cloud and can access them from another computer so they wouldn’t need transferring to that computer.

Cloud storage comes at a cost though, so do you intend to keep them in the Cloud permanently?

Also, and probably most importantly, do you currently use traditional folder based Lightroom (6/Classic etc.) and if so, do you intend to keep using it? As using Classic and the cloud based CC together has many caveats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how long I plan on using the cloud but have no plans to stop using it in the foreseeable future.  If I do decide to stop using, could I transfer all the photos off of the cloud and onto a new computer?

I am still using the traditional folder based Lightroom.  Is there a better way to organize photos now?  I have had Lightroom for about 6 years and haven't updated my organization method to keep up with the updates but am interested in doing this if there is a better strategy and it's not too complicated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Adobe Bridge | Camera Raw | Photoshop workflow.

The best place to fine info on that is YouTube - Julieanne Kost and/or Terry White have how-to videos there.

As far as cloud storage, I guess I'm lucky.
I have a hosting account (Godaddy) so when I want to store files I just FTP them to a folder on their servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I think it all depends on your workflow, what kind of edits (if any) do you want to do on the second computer and if you want the cost of Cloud Storage...... or even need it.

It's worth watching these videos to see if you want to go down the CC route:

The All-New Lightroom CC: An Overview - YouTube

Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC - Which Workflow is Best for You? - YouTube

And reading these threads:

Can I use both Lightroom CC and Classic?

Workflow for using Lightroom Classic with occasional use of Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a lot faster and easier to use an external USB hard drive to move image files to a new computer.  

Have you considered that as a method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may also may find Victoria Bampton's workflow useful Mike:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines