• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open PDF attachments from Outlook when already have a PDF open (Acrobat Pro DC)

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I noticed that when I have a PDF file already open in Acrobat Pro DC, for instance opened it from a local disk, and then want to open a PDF attachment in Microsoft Outlook, it fails with the "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server." error message.

However, if I just close the PDF that is open and then try to open the PDF attachment of an email in Outlook it opens with no problem. Similarly, if I already have an PDF attachment open from Outlook (not a PDF instance from local disk, e.g.,) then when I try to open another PDF attachment in Outlook, it can open again with no problem.

The opposite case, fortunately, does not cause errors. I.e., if I first open a PDF attachment in Outlook and then try to open PDF files from local hard disk, it opens them successfully.

Btw, I noticed it is the same case when I open a PDF file from my browser while already having one from local hard disk open!

In short, it seems if I already have open PDF files from one source (e.g., hard disk), and then try to open a PDF attachment from another source such as Outlook or Firefox, it fails.

How is it possible to fix it? It is so frustrating that I have to close all my working PDF documents just to be able to view a PDF attachment.

Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Mehrdad58

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. As per the description above, you are not able to open a PDF file attachment in Outlook when a PDF file is already opened in Acrobat, Is that correct?

Please check for the latest update of Acrobat Pro from Help>Check for updates. You can also download the updates manually from Overview — Acrobat and Adobe Reader Release Notes

You may also try to repair the installation files of Acrobat Pro from Help>Repair installation(only for Windows).

Reboot the machine once after the update and repair of Acrobat. And see if this brings any difference.

You may also try to repair the Office/Outlook once.

If the issue persists, please share the following details:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines