• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User preset with tone curve issue

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of bulk adjustments and am really liking the output from the new auto, a big improvement on the last one, but I also find images lack a little contrast that applying a medium contrast curve helps with.

So... I'd like to create a preset that does both but I'm seeing some odd behaviour and can't figure out why.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Steps taken:

Develop module, brand new image.

Apply Medium Contrast tone curve from the tone curve module.

"Add new preset"... check the auto settings box and the tone curve box, save.

This generates this preset:

s = {

id = "B72CCADC-283F-462B-AFB2-6CADC1D73E1C",

internalName = "Auto with Med Contrast Curve",

title = "Auto with Med Contrast Curve",

type = "Develop",

value = {

settings = {

AutoBrightness = false,

AutoContrast = false,

AutoExposure = false,

AutoShadows = false,

AutoTone = true,

ParametricDarks = 0,

ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,

ParametricHighlights = 0,

ParametricLights = 0,

ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,

ParametricShadowSplit = 25,

ParametricShadows = 0,

ToneCurveName2012 = "Medium Contrast",

ToneCurvePV2012 = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Blue = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Green = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Red = {

},

},

uuid = "49EEBDB0-7DAD-4A48-B44E-AD184C3C3015",

},

version = 0,

}

The preset aligns with the content of built in presets for "Auto Settings" and "Medium Contrast Curve".

Maybe 8 times out of 10 the preset does what I want but then I get an oddity.

One example - open an existing image with no previous adjustments in develop module...

Apply the preset.... the only thing that happens is the contrast gets adjusted by a small amount.

Reset the image....

Apply the preset again.... behaves as expected.

Here's a video cap:

Any suggestions???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

I think you've tripped over a known bug or one very similar -- when you apply other settings with Auto Tone, sometimes the result is unpredictable.   Previously, this had only been reported when applying Auto Tone to a batch of photos, but in your case it's happening with a single photo.  See this bug report: Lightroom: Applying Auto Tone to a batch of photos loses subsequent develop settings | Photoshop Family Customer Communi…

Rather than add to that existing bug report, I suggest you file a n

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've tripped over a known bug or one very similar -- when you apply other settings with Auto Tone, sometimes the result is unpredictable.   Previously, this had only been reported when applying Auto Tone to a batch of photos, but in your case it's happening with a single photo.  See this bug report: Lightroom: Applying Auto Tone to a batch of photos loses subsequent develop settings | Photoshop Fam...

Rather than add to that existing bug report, I suggest you file a new one (since yours only involves one photo) in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  I'm pretty sure that the underlying cause is the same, but I can't be sure, so I think it's best to file a separate bug report. 

With the old Auto Tone, there weren't too many people encountering these issues, because Auto Tone wasn't very good.  It's possible that more people will start using the new Auto Tone and encountering the bugs, so it's important to have accurate bug reports file, to make more likely Adobe might finally fix a problem that's been around since at least LR 4.

Try this inconvenient workaround: First apply Auto Tone to one or more photos.  Then do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews and wait until that completes.  Then apply other presets or settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll do that.

I can apply the two stock actions independently with no issues at all, even to 300+ in library, just putting them together throws up this occasionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines