• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant continue editing after making a mask selection

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into this issue from time to time and I apologize if it sounds a bit noobish but it is really breaking my workflow. What happens is, I am already deep into editing the portrait, after all the frequency separation and d&b I decide to use the pen tool or even lasso tool to mask out an area so I can clean up maybe hair strays etc. I get that done, hide the selection and make a new layer to continue with something else. However usually what ever other tool i try to use on the new layer be it brush or spot healing or whatever, it has no effect but if I use it over the masked area, it applies only there.

So for some reason even though I hid the selection and made a new layer it still recognizes the mask and will only edit inside of it and not do anything for the rest of the image. Even if I click back on a previous layer for example to add a bit more d&b, nothing happens. The way I kind of went around this was to try to move the masked layer around and that did fix some issues but then new ones creep in because its now below something edited and its showing the edit pattern etc.

Can someone tell me, what am I doing wrong or does the mask layer have to be at a certain place throughout the retouch like always on top of all layers or bottom or...? Thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Hi

Ctrl+D to Deselect (Cmd+D on Mac)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Active hidden selection all you can modify is in the select area.  You hide the selection so the marching ants will not obscure you view of the changes you are making. The selection is active but the marching ants are hidden. What you are seeing is normal operation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but how do I "deactivate" it afterwards in order to move on to other layers and editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a mask on that layer.

A selection is global and universal. A mask is layer specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Ctrl+D to Deselect (Cmd+D on Mac)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave, that must be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines