• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved file size larger than it needs to be

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with very large files, once I've finished with the layered files I flatten everything but the PSD's retain a lot of the large file size once saved and even closed.

But if I drag all the exact contents into a fresh document of the same dimensions and save that, it is significantly smaller (like from 190mb to 50mb).

I havn't for the life of me been able to figure out why this is.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

You can actually run a Photoshop from any folder using menu File>Scripts>Browse the navigate to the folder and select the script.  Or you can copy the script into Photoshop preset\scripts folder and restart Photoshop the use menu File>Scripts>ScriptName.

Save For Web may stript the metadata if you save it as a jpeg it can not save PSD. Metadata is not image data it like EXIF dat, Copyright data, profile, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old file may has a lot of old ancestor metadata.  You could try stripping it.  Re: Photoshop saving super heavy jpg 640x360 10.7MB???

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mack Thanks for that

I hoped photoshop would have its own script to execute a similar function.

I wouldnt know where to start running a custom script, If this is the only work around I will probably just continue to drag and drop into a new document.

Dont know if this extra info helps but even if i delete all the contents & history leaving a single solid colour, a 600x600px psd is still 70mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually run a Photoshop from any folder using menu File>Scripts>Browse the navigate to the folder and select the script.  Or you can copy the script into Photoshop preset\scripts folder and restart Photoshop the use menu File>Scripts>ScriptName.

Save For Web may stript the metadata if you save it as a jpeg it can not save PSD. Metadata is not image data it like EXIF dat, Copyright data, profile, etc.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ive waisted enough of your brilliant time, much appreciated the psd is now 78k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines