• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking for white background

Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something we see all the time. Product shot or portrait, and the spec is that it needs to be on a clean white background.

OK. It's shot against a white wall or a white cloth/paper - but it doesn't look clean enough out of the camera. Maybe it comes out of the camera like this (a common scenario with auto exposure):

cutout_1.jpg

So, what's the first instinct? Right: cut it out, select and mask. We need that white background! The hair takes a lot of work, but let's say it gets reasonably clean:

cutout_2.jpg

But this still doesn't look good, does it? In fact it looks exactly like what it is: a cutout. There is a better way.

Work globally! Get the whole image right. Work with the white point and the white balance. In this third example, there is not a single brushstroke of masking. No magic wand, no Select and Mask, no edge detection to get the hair right. It's all done with global adjustments all over. Looks much better, right?

cutout_3.jpg

If the background isn't perfectly even, or still falls slightly short of pure white, this can easily be handled by raising the white point further locally, but no intricate masking is needed for that. A large soft brush will do just fine.

Those of us who grew up with analog photo learned all this the hard way. But today, there is this idea that anything can be fixed in Photoshop later. So no need to start with a good photo - it can be as sloppy as you like, nothing that a little Photoshop magic can't put straight. And strictly speaking that's true - if you're prepared to put in hours of work.

Bottom line: Get the whole image as good as it gets first. Then, only then, start with masking and local adjustments. You may need a lot less of that than you think.

Thank you. I just had to get this off my chest.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Human learn by doing and reflecting on what they have done.  The next you will do better.  So I guess your human not some AI device.

Masking is Art the are so many way you keep on learning all the time then find more ways.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that you in the pictures Dag?  It's not very nice giving us nightmares just before Christmas matey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not me, just a random pick from a series of portraits I did a couple of years ago. But I couldn't resist the stern look, it felt fitting

I apologize for "the sermon of the day", which I suspect it comes across as - but I really feel strongly about this. With the latest thread on the subject I could no longer sit still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops .....may have overdone it !!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Next time, Dave, insist that people take off the sunglasses before a portrait shoot. To avoid overexposure, the neutral density filter needs to sit on the lens, not the subject.    <where's the "rolls eyes" smiley?>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines