Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set a new zero point for rulers

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

i have some how managed to end up with a number of pages of my muse website with different ruler zero points on the top ruler.

How do i reset ruler zero point for specific pages in adobe muse?

Is there some other way its meant to be done so that all pages align correctly with top ruler zero point?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

I have tried png, jpg, giff it is refusing all of them??? (file dimesnions are only 400 px or less). Maybe its an issue with this fourm when using google chrome browser??? (i will try with edge and edit this comment shortly.)

Yep its a problem with this forum and chrome browser on my computer.

Anyway, here is the solution...

1. Show breakpoints (right click on top ruler and choose "Show Breakpoints")

2. Right Click on Purple breakpoint line above my page and choose "Breakpoint properties"

3. Ensure i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we talking about this one?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-20 um 09.51.49.png

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes that is the rulers i am talking about.

notice that your zero points are at the edge of the web page...on mine site, a number of pages have the edge of the page at -150,0 and some pages have edge of page at 0,0.

i want them all at 0,0 on the rulers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag all your content down, so it starts at zero as well.

If you mark your top element (header), there appears a double arrow on the left side showing up and down.

Grab this and … move it.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its the horizontal ruler that i have the problem with not the side one.

I notice that in your image you have breakpoints selected...if i use that everything goes completely stupid. Surely there is a simple way of just moving the top ruler zero point (photoshop just requires one grab the intersection point of the two rulers and click and drag).

This has all come about because i wanted a wider page than the standard that loaded with the template i am using. I widened the page from 960 to 1200 pixels and stupid muse has used the center of page as its axis and added 120 to each side (mirrored). Why on earth anyone would want that to happen when content may or may not be centered on page is beyond me. If a designer wanted that, then the zero point would be the center of the page from the outset, not the edge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need some more help?

Please provide a .muse, following these rules: Please Provide a .muse File to Help Us Fixing Your Issue!​

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured out the solution...however this forum is refusing to accept jpg image attachments so i can poit the solution here for others...and i cannot find where the documentation is for this forum that tells me what flamin image types it accepts??? How can a forum not accept jpg file extensions???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this forum accepts jpg. And png. And some more I guess.

Maybe you find it here: User Manual for the Adobe Forum Community

I didn`t find it ( at the bottom maybe?).

You can attach a screenshot which is on Mac a png.

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried png, jpg, giff it is refusing all of them??? (file dimesnions are only 400 px or less). Maybe its an issue with this fourm when using google chrome browser??? (i will try with edge and edit this comment shortly.)

Yep its a problem with this forum and chrome browser on my computer.

Anyway, here is the solution...

1. Show breakpoints (right click on top ruler and choose "Show Breakpoints")

2. Right Click on Purple breakpoint line above my page and choose "Breakpoint properties"

3. Ensure i had "Fluid Width" selected

4. Once fluid width is selected move to the right of same breakpoint properties popup box and edit "Breakpoint Width" to match the page width i have...in my casse the original was 960, so i had to increase "Breakpoint Width" to new page size which is 1200.

Once i did the above, my top ruler now has its zero point in line with the left edge of my page and the dual arrows (as seen in my attached images)

Step 1

reset adobe muse ruler zero point 1.jpg

Step 2

reset adobe muse ruler zero point 2.jpg

Step 3 (I haven't changed the Breakpoint width yet, but increasing it to match page width "1200" solves problem)

reset adobe muse ruler zero point 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you try to upload? I hope with this tiny little button:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-23 um 22.08.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I build websites for a living and am just new to using Muse...should I answer that???

To be honest, this whole adobe muse ruler and breakpoint functionality is a complete disaster...it is anything but user friendly!

I cannot for the life of me understand why it is that some of the most basic of things (such as resetting a ruler zero point) doesn't function the way it does in other well known adobe programs like photoshop! (its almost as if completely different companies are making the various adobe products and selling them under the same brand name!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot understand for the life why you not share your .muse.

It saves a lot of time, If one of our users show you, how it is easily done.

Be aware that templates are good for learning purposes, it needs a certain way, how to handle it, my opinion (and I`m not the only one).

Show it.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is THAT user unfriendly, that nobody but you is complaining about that, don‘t you think so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue that you did. All of my breakpoints are fluid, but I wanted to set the largest as a fixed breakpoint and as soon as I do this the ruler resets itself to the size of the next smallest fluid breakpoint. It doesn't matter whether I am working within the breakpoint properties window or page properties window. I share your frustration. fluid width ruler 0,0 page edge.png

fixed width selection resets ruler.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s how fixed width breakpoints should behave. All your content should stay within this blue vertical guides.

You may see the difference between the 1800 fluid width and the 1800 fixed width, when the largest "breakpoint" changes to 2000:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-20 um 22.58.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-20 um 22.59.07.png

If you use the scrubber to change the browser width/canvas width you see how it behaves.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that setting a fixed larger breakpoint was a way to be able to use scroll effects on larger desktop viewports. does this mean that no items can stretch to that browser width? I am confused. I feel like I am missing something. Can you please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Browser wide elements are an special situation. This, of course, is possible.

Elements, which aren’t browser wide shouldn’t overlap the page/breakpoint boundaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines