• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Let user choose/display font on web page for making a sign

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to offer user a selection of fonts to choose from in making custom signs on website. What is the best way to do this? Maybe there is command line api from javascript or something to create file, send in text to be formated, and then output png,  maybe on windows server (or ubuntu)? Just looking for path to go down. I don't mind picking up new language to so this. Sorry if this is noob question.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have been overthinking this. With all the talk about websafe fonts I thought this was hard to do. Looks like typekit and google fonts allow you to do some special online linking and display without the user having to download the font.  Will try it out. Cufon sounds similar, but I use typekit anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gstewartjr,

Typekit's license doesn't allow web fonts to be used in this way. Allowing users to create with or pick fonts would require to different kind of license. One that extends the license to your users.

Right now, Typekit doesn't offer this kind of license for print. Google fonts are open-source and could likely be used for this purpose, though I would read the license for any fonts you choose to make available to your users.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - I see that listed now in the licensing FAQ. They do list font-spring as being able to purchase. Would that work?  The  license looks like $35 ish per font. I'd do that if it worked. Google has a bunch also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines