• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Templates

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to apply a template in the topic view. I select any number of files from 5 to 100 files. After I apply the template it does not stick. Selecting a smaller number of files seems to work better. Selecting one file at a time never is a problem.

The project does have 2000 files in one directory.

Thoughts?

Using RH7, XPSP2

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know for sure but it looks like you have answered your own question.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the topics have a template applied already why not alter that and/or the stylesheet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't.

I might test the number of files in the directory to see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of files shouldn't be an issue, although I guess it may depend on exactly how many. Maybe you'd want to try adding the tag below to the meta data in the truecode for each topic. Just use a good find and replace tool. FAR and Bk ReplaceEm are just two. Don't forget to take a backup before doing anything and change templatefilename.htt to the file name of your template.

<meta name="template" content="templatefilename.htt">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea. Why not use the find/replace that is in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever used it? It has rather limited functionality One of the advantages of the tools I mention is that they work across multiple lines of HTML code and provide a lot more flexibility (e.g. text starting with, ending with, containing). Bk ReplaceEm is even freeware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Peter for making me realise that 2000 files in one folder is not good practice. I skipped reading that line 😉 So maybe that is an issue after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There actually is 3,300 files. It is bad practice because?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
RH keeps track of all files and folders, partly in the CPD file and partly in the FPJ. There is a possibility, no more, that this unusally high number in one folder could corrupt one or the other.

There is no limit in theory to the number of files in a project but when I was splitting up a monster (10,000 files) I found that above 4,000 was not unusable but there was a performance difference. Of course, the machine used will impact on that.

Could you import say twenty topics into a new project and then see if that number will stick there when it would not in this project?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should have said it is not what I would have done rather than it is bad practice - sorry it is late in the day here! Perhaps I could ask how long the project takes to open with that many topics. I used to maintain a project with 1200+ topics and it took upwards of 10 minutes. It also makes for difficulties with navigation and linking as some RH dialogs are so darn small that you only see a few topics at a time.

With that many files, I consider using merged help and/or using a folder structure inside the project that mirrors the TOC books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp