• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sql Select Problem

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a blog and I'm trying to have a"Read More" button to allow someone to write an article description, and place a read more link wherever they want. The read more link will have an id = systemreadmore. When the whole article gets inserted into a database it is one block of html code in a memo field.

How can I do a select statement that gets everything before the id=systemreadmore link?

Something in theory like

Select * from articles
where left(articlebody, <a href="" id=systemreadmore>Read More</a> )

Any ideas?
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your db documentation for functions that sound like substring or position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of the memo field you note in your summary, is it safe to assume this is an Access DB? If this is an Access DB, is there a particular benefit to running this sort of filter at the DB level?

In my previous experience, MS Access was not only a slower database (than SQL Server or MySQL, for example). but it isn't a true database server and easily locks up when experiencing higher loads.

It might be easier, and without any significant a performance, to manipulate the article body content/string in CF.

<cfquery name="rs" datasource="#dsn#>
select article_id, article_body
from articles
where article_id = #id#
</cfquery>

Once you get the record you want, you can use a variety of ColdFusion's string functions (see live docs for more options) to pull the section you want from the article_body.

<cfscript>
// quick and dirty -- certainly more effective ways
readMorePos = ReFindNoCase("id=systemreadmore",rs.article_body);
readMoreBody = RemoveChars(rs.article_body,1,readMorePos-1);
</cfscript>

<cfoutput>
#readMoreBody#
</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2008 Dec 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks a lot guys for the ideas. I will have to look into these and see what I can come up with. I don't really need to do this processing on the database side, I can do it through CF logic also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation