• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do extend a photo within a design?

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A photo I am using isn't big enough for the space on my design and I would like to extend it by producing an 'organic' background (not increase its size) to fill the white section - can anyone help with this? I don't want to increase the canvas size, just the photo. Here is the section I want to increase.

Screenshot 2017-12-21 17.58.30.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Edit > Fill > Content Aware

Screenshot 2017-12-21 11.44.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way, you can cut out the area you want to fill, then enlarge that by using Image > Image Size. You can loose a bit of the image on the sides and stretch it a bit to fill. Also have a look at Content Aware Fill.

pic.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, Thanks for your reply. It was more about filling in the empty white section with an extension of the background from the photo. I know this can be done when simply working on a canvas but I wanted to know how to do it with an individual photo within a canvas (rather than changing the image size). I am new to photoshop (! ) - where would I find Content Aware Fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that should have been Content Aware Fill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find Content Aware Fill in the menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Fill > Content Aware

Screenshot 2017-12-21 11.44.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it! But the Content Aware selection is greyed out so I am unable to select it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have selected the layer with the photo on it. But don't worry - I am very, very new at photoshop and it may take far too long for you to explain whatI need to do! I start a night school course in January and I am sure all will become clear by then! Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you start with a simpler method first and when you're able to do that look at other, more complex, techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur Derek!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with the class, but please feel free to return to this friendly forum with any particular questions that may occur in the future. Contributors like BarbBinder really know their Photoshop stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have only used the forum twice but have found it incredibly helpful. You all really know your stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a particularly easy image to extend no matter what method you use.  Does it have to be that picture?

If yes, then I think what I would do is select the picture area and copy it to a new layer, and then use Free Transform (Ctrl t) to stretch it

Before

After

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Along these lines, it might be worth trying Content-Aware Scale, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. (No, I don't mean Content-Aware Fill, this is different.) Content-Aware Scale could help minimize the visible distortion from stretching an image.

Content-aware scaling in Photoshop (Photoshop User Guide)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines