• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD will no open JPGs

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some sort of update to my Photoshop CC Photography plan this morning on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) using 10.10.5 and now cannot open jpegs. I can open tiffs and psd files (all I've tried so far) with no problem and can save jpegs. Cannot open jpegs that have all been created by Photoshop.

I've tried to delete prefs, although I'm not sure I did that correctly.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Louie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

If you checked the system requirements, posted by c.pfaffenbichler above, you'd see that CC 2017 requires Mac OS 10.11 or higher.

You can install older Photoshop versions with the CC desktop app, right back to CS6. But apparently you only need to go one version back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restoring Preferences (as you mention trying to do) after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point, please refer to this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What exactly happens when you try to open a jpg?

Can you provide one for testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a jpeg, I get a message "Could not complete your request because the file was not found". This happens on older jpegs as well as a couple I created today after I started getting this message. BTW, I am also able to open png fils of the screen shots I just made in addition to tiffs and psd file. Those are all I've tried. I  just deleted prefs and that did not solve the problem.

Maybe uninstalling Photoshop and starting over might be the way to go?

Thanks again,

Louie

cannot open.png

Here is a jpeg shot with an iPhone that Photoshop will not open now, but was able to before my "update" this morning.

IMG_7159.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you should decide to un- and reinstall you may want to use the Cleaner Tool in between.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Are the files on a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting development, I just went to download Photoshop as I prepare to uninstall and reinstall. I got the message below. Strange since I've been running Photoshop for years up until day before yesterday with no problem.

FYI, I'm using iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Weird,

Louie

"This computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for Photoshop CC. Please refer to the system requirements in the Help documentation for a full list of hardware and software requirements for Photoshop CC."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version do you use?

Photoshop system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I've now discovered DNG and Nikon raw (NEF) files will not open either. Very discouraged at this point, but really do appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you checked the system requirements, posted by c.pfaffenbichler above, you'd see that CC 2017 requires Mac OS 10.11 or higher.

You can install older Photoshop versions with the CC desktop app, right back to CS6. But apparently you only need to go one version back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I downloaded an earlier version of CC2017 and as best I can tell, everything seems to be working fine. I can open all my NEF and DNG files as well as jpeg.

Adobe is now telling me there are updates available for this, but I'm thinking I won't be doing that. It works and I'm good to go at this point.

Thanks you D Fosse and c.pfaffenbichler for your help.

Louie

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 2.55.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines