Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot generate Primary Layout

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am generating a Web Help project using Adobe RoboHelp 7, upon clicking on "Generate Primary Layout" button. I got the following message and the window hangs in this message.

-------------------------------- Layout : WebHelp --------------------------------
Starting compilation...
Clearing output folder...
Starting compilation...

It never completes and return back. The "View Result" button is enabled and upon clicking on this button, I got the following message
Failed to find result file <Path>

I am using MS-Word 2007 and saving my project files on a server on my intranet. I am having a very tight schedule and i ned help ASAP please.

Thanks,
Sherif Esmat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sherif,

By project files, I assume you mean the Word files? If so, move those files to a local drive.

RH doesn't work well over a network, so your source files should always be on your PC hard drive. Source control on a network is fine, or copying to and from a network drive for backup is fine, but you should always work on the files locally.

I admit I've generated my output to a network, but it might be safer even to generate locally, and use the Publish function in Robohelp, or manually copy the output after it has been generated.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amebr,

I moved everything to a local drive and is still facing the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2008 Dec 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a backup first.

Trash the CPD and then reopen the local project.

Generate the webhelp to a new folder. Make sure that folder is on your local drive. You should only PUBLISH to a non-local drive.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried copying my Project folder to a new path and deleted the old one, I then reopened the project from this new path and I am still facing the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood Peter's suggestion.

He meant for you to generate to a different path (output files), not to move the project folder (source files).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(forum glitch - duplicate post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(forum glitch - duplicate post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From where can I set the Output path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click the layout. The path is defined in the first page of the wizard.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1/ Right click on your Single Source layout.
2/ Select Properties
3/ Enter a different path in the first field - Select Output Folder & Start Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Sorry Peter. Even though you are just up the road I didn't see you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, i tried to chaneg the output path but i got the same message, i think it is something in the contents of the wrod document itself as i am able to generate output for other projects.

Do anybody knows what can cause this to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the new folder to which you generated local or on the network?

I think you are using RH for Word and it is OK for that to run the projects on a network. It is only RH HTML that uses the CPD file and that is what gives network issues. However, I would still try generating locally to see if it does make a difference.

If that is what you are doing, create a copy of the project and then try using build tags to exclude half your output. If it still fails, exclude half of what is left and continue until it hopefully builds. That will hopefully identify the errant topic.

The other approach is with RH closed, trash the RTF files. On reopening RH it will rebuild them and that may fix the problem. On balance I would try that first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2009 Jan 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I tried to trash the rtf files and it didn't work, do we know the any known reasons why the RH fail to generate output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW. all my work is no my local drive, i am using the following appraoch to create my project:
1. Open RoboHelp
2. Chosse to create a new project.
3. Choose WebHelp
4. Import a word file after the project opens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We don't know the reason so if trashing the RTF didn't help, you will have to trash half the topics as suggested until you identify something.

What happens if you create a new project and create a few topics in that? Can you generate webhelp from there? Or you could try generating one of the supplied sample projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp