• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

getting help to work in Windows 98, XP, AND Vista

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with getting my help system to be compatible with all three operating systems: Windows 98, XP, and Vista.

It is a VERY SIMPLE help system, with no fancy DHTML stuff, etc. But, the default generated CHM file works fine under XP and Vista, but under Windows 98, won't allow any topics to be choisen from the TOC (although the initial help window and initial topic display fine).

With Pete Lees' much appreciated help, we tried a CHM file with all scripting stripped from the files (since it really isn't necessary) -- the now revised CHM file works fine in Windows 98 and XP, but has a weird behavior in Vista: The help files display ok in Vista, except that in the search tab it goes ‘bong’ every time a topic is selected. So if I type in, say, ‘Link’ into the ‘type in the keyword to find’ field and press ‘list topics’, then when I down arrow through the topics (or click them individually) it bongs for each one.

The ‘bong’ sound is the same sound it makes normally if you type ‘Link’ into the ‘type in the keyword to find’ field and press ENTER. It sounds as if there were a hidden error message box.

I would have thought (silly naive me) that since the RoboHelp help *says* the Microsoft HTML Help generated by RH works in Windows 98 and later, that I wouldn't have had to do anything to make it work under Windows 98.
BTW, the client tried all the initial suggestions from Pete re. updating W98 help viewer files, registering DLLs, etc., and none of those seemed to have any effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try next??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I know every body asks you this, but what is so special about Win98 that your client wants to stick with it? XP is much better for many things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just that they want their app to be backwardly compatible, as all well-behaved apps are. Obviously, the majority of their customers will be using XP or Vista, but they don't want to shut out the "late adopters" out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2008 Dec 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I think RH projects only work with IE 4.0 or later installed. If clients have Win98 installed maybe they also have a very old browser? Just a hunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp