• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert the distance from/to the text in Photoshop into CSS margin/padding?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distances from text elements (paragraphs) in Photoshop do not correspond to margins/paddings in the CSS. Distances are measured, for example, using smart guides:

2017-12-23_112525.jpg

All because the line height is not used in the distances calculation. Therefore, the first recommendation I found is to use the formula:

margin_in_CSS = distance_in_PS - (line-height - font-size) / 2

or shorter:

CSS = PS - (line-height - font-size) / 2

This is the distance from some obvious border (line) to the text element. For the distance between two paragraphs we use, respectively:

CSS = PS - (line-height_1 - font-size_1) / 2 - (line-height_2 - font-size_2) / 2

As the font size increases, it becomes clear that this formula is not enough. The actual height of the line (obtained with the selection tool) in Photoshop is even less than the font size!

2017-12-23_103516.jpg

Although the photoshop still considers the height of the element to be approximately equal to the font size, which does not affect the distance to it , for example on the Properties tab:

2017-12-23_104720.jpg

I calculated that the difference between the real height of the line and the font size is about 30% or 15% at the top and bottom of the text (I'm not saying this is 100% true!). And now I use the formula:

CSS = PS - (0.15 * font-size + (line-height - font-size) / 2)

Or between two paragraphs:

CSS = PS - (0.15 * font-size_1 + (line-height_1 - font-size_1) / 2) - (0.15 * font-size_2 + (line-height_2 - font-size_2) / 2)

Similarly, we can not rely on the correct definition of the height of a paragraph in several lines by Photoshop. But here the situation is simpler, the real height of the paragraph in the CSS will be:

height = line-height * num_of_lines

The question is, is there a simpler way?

Sorry for my English

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

The actual height of the line (obtained with the selection tool) in Photoshop is even less than the font size!

In your formula it looks like you are expecting the font's cap height to equal the font size, but the font size is usually the distance from the font's descender line to the ascender line plus some amount for the shoulders:

Type3.png

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way, even with scripting, to get any font's actual cap height. The size of the cap height relative to the font size would vary

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual height of the line (obtained with the selection tool) in Photoshop is even less than the font size!

In your formula it looks like you are expecting the font's cap height to equal the font size, but the font size is usually the distance from the font's descender line to the ascender line plus some amount for the shoulders:

Type3.png

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way, even with scripting, to get any font's actual cap height. The size of the cap height relative to the font size would vary depending on the font's design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your formula it looks like you are expecting the font's cap height to equal the font size, but the font size is usually the distance from the font's descender line to the ascender line plus some amount for the shoulders

rob day​, yes, but this is how Photoshop measures the height of the text line to calculate the distance to it, apparently. You are right, I used cap height. Only in this way I managed to make the formula work. Importantly, the last (or only) line in the paragraph should NOT contain "shoulders", for example, the letters "y" or "j".

It's interesting that Adobe Assets shows the height of the text, as I indicated on the first screenshot.

2017-12-23_165621.jpg

The size of the cap height relative to the font size would vary depending on the font's design.

I understand it. That's why I need something else than my "great" formula

Actually, I need simple way to measure (or get it somehow) CSS text margin/padding in the Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps, but you can get the bounds of a text layer via scripting and translate that into margins. So this gets the margins of the active layer (assuming the canvas doesn't extend outside of the document bounds):

var doc=app.activeDocument;

var tb =doc.activeLayer.bounds;

var tm=tb[1];

var rm= doc.width-tb[2];

var lm=tb[0];

var bm= doc.height-tb[3];

alert("Active Layer Bounds:\rmargin-top: " + tm + "\r" + "margin-right: " + rm+ "\r" + "margin-bottom: " + bm+ "\r" + "margin-left: " + lm);

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.48.54 AM.png

For space between paragraphs, you might be able to define it as space after in the Paragraph panel and use that as the paragraph's CSS bottom margin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the participation, but this script gives the same margin values as the smart guides - just from the borders of the document...

But If I could count the distance between two text fields, and get their font size and leading, I could include my formula in the script.

Is it possible?

Screenshot with such a functional from Adobe Assets (I selected 2 layers by shift and got distance)

2017-12-23_174748.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But If I could count the distance between two text fields, and get their font size and leading, I could include my formula in the script.

Is it possible?

It looks to me like CSS/HTML calculates the margin from the font's full body and not the baseline or cap height. So in Photoshop you would have to get the ascender and descender positions—I don't think you can do that via scripting. Firefox developer tools shows the margin relative to the font's body. Here I can see the bottom-margin in yellow, doesn't start from the baseline, it starts from the descender line.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 11.58.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox developer tools shows the margin relative to the font's body. Here I can see the bottom-margin in yellow, doesn't start from the baseline, it starts from the descender line.

rob day​,

This is not entirely true. In your screenshot, it seems that the default line-height is 120%. If the line-height is 100% the text will be cut off from below. The boundaries of the view clearly define the height = line-height. And margins/paddings are applied start from these boundaries. Screenshot from Chrome, but in Firefox - all about the same.

2017-12-24_121046.jpg

In Photoshop, the boundaries of the text layer (Point text), from which distances are calculated, go clearly along the edge of the letters. Sticking letters, like "j" and "g", affect both height and distance, but the leading does not (on 1 row).

2017-12-24_124009.jpg

If you use 1 line with a capital letter without sticking ones, like "j" and "g", for example "Foobar" - you can macth Photoshop and the browser and get gaps from above and from below about 15%, which I used in the formula.

2017-12-24_170447.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HTML's line height is the equivalent of Photoshop's leading—the distance between the baselines—not the amount of space the line of characters take up. So the vertical space the line takes varies depending on the font not the line height.

Copperplate takes less space than Georgia and the line height (leading) doesn't change the vertical dimension. Here the font size is 40px and the line height is 180px. It's the font that's changing the vertical space allowed for the characters.

copperplate.png

georgia.png

Photoshop's smartguides and my JS are getting the visual bounds of the line's characters and not the space the font's body takes over in CSS. I think in the end you will still be up against finding the ascent and descent points.

Here's a composite of Firefox's developer tools showing all of the dimensions. The space between the last line and the start of the 40px margin is 62px, or the line-height (leading) minus the font vertical space divided by 2. (180-56)/2=62. If you set the line-height to a percentage it's based on the CSS font-size. In this case 100% would equal 48px, 375% would equal 180px.

composite.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin,

pierrec86934804​,

This discussion is not about it... i think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suggest to change approach to the problem. Since we are in the responsive world, you should not look for mathematical but aesthetic solutions. It's not need to be 100% pixel perfect but it needs to feel right.

Use your eye and it will work.

I know my answer can sound like super short but actually it's what really matters. The user experience is the most important thing and it's not about math but about perception.

Wish you the best,
Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You might be interested in The Mathematics of Golden Ratio Typography

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines