Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application Manager and Creative Cloud?

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Photoshop CS5.1. When I search for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, it offers the Application Manger and Camera Raw 6.7. I currently have Camera Raw version 6.3. I am unable to install the Camera Raw 6.7 update without installing the Application Manager also. After I install to two updates, the Application Manager becomes a new start menu program. However, if I open it, it turns into the Creative Cloud. Why does this happen? For this reason, I do not want to install the Application Manager.

I tried installing the Camera Raw 6.7 manual update and this does not install the Application Manager also. This can be a work around for people who do not want the Application Manger installed also. However, when I go to check for updates inside Photoshop CS5.1, is still offers the damn Application Manger. I guess I will just never install the Application Manager or, will I ever have a reason to? I wouldn't really mind installing the Application Manager if it did not turn into CC when I click on it.

I have the most up to date version of Camera Raw (6.7) allowed by my version of Photoshop CS5.1 and the most current version of the DNG Converter, (10.1). Is there any reason for me to update my Camera Raw 6.3 to 6.7 in the first place? I ask this since I don't even own a camera yet. By the time I get one, I doubt Camera Raw 6.7 will support any new cameras out there. For this reason, I don't think it even matters what version of Camera Raw I have. That is since I will have to use the DNG Converter anyways.

Thanks,

Leo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

1) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw Manually.

-This will result in having Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and only Photoshop CS5.1 in my control panel programs.

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, it will display the Application Manager. Why this is, I don't know since there is nothing to update.

Best advice I can offer:

Don't pay attention to the Application Manager then. You can safely ignore update offers and manually p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of the Application Manager is that when you go to Help > Updates, it fetches all the Updates you are entitled to. Bridge, Camera Raw and Extension Manager. That saves you from going to the product updates page and figuring out what in that long list applies to your version. If you don't update the AAM, you get the cryptic message, "Updates failed to install."

The AAM does need to be updated for newer operating systems and this is the one for CS5 Windows:

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager is the latest.

Updates have bugfixes and should be put in. Camera Raw 6.7 has more improvements over 6.3.

I'd recommend staying on top of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The point of the Application Manager is that when you go to Help > Updates, it fetches all the Updates you are entitled to. Bridge, Camera Raw and Extension Manager. That saves you from going to the product updates page and figuring out what in that long list applies to your version."

I understand the convenience of Application Manager but, it's it seems to be broken, like I said. The application Manager turns into Creative Cloud. Do you know why this happens?

"If you don't update the AAM, you get the cryptic message, "Updates failed to install."

I manually installed the Camera Raw 6.7 update without any problems. I did not get this message. I also do not use or have the Extension Manager installed, and therefore I do not need any updates.

"Updates have bugfixes and should be put in. Camera Raw 6.7 has more improvements over 6.3."

I do agree it's better to have a more updated version. I just though, since I'm going to have to use the DNG Converter anyway, why does it matter?

Thanks,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leosantare  wrote

I understand the convenience of Application Manager but, it's it seems to be broken, like I said. The application Manager turns into Creative Cloud. Do you know why this happens?

It replaced the old AAM a while back.

Adobe Application Manager missing after installing update

If you don't want the Creative Cloud app, you can uninstall it, but since I do not own CS5 I don't know if that will cause any problems, so you assume any risk.

I manually installed the Camera Raw 6.7 update without any problems. I did not get this message.

I do agree it's better to have a more updated version. I just though, since I'm going to have to use the DNG Converter anyway, why does it matter?

You use ACR 6.7 to open and process the converted dng file as well as jpegs and tiffs.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows lists the improvements for each version.

Since you already installed 6.7 it's kind of a moot question. Well, there is 6.7.1 that fixes a minor issue with tiffs, but that depends if you will run tiffs through ACR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help thus far. I should have labeled this post "Photoshop CS5.1 installation."

"Since you already installed 6.7 it's kind of a moot question. Well, there is 6.7.1 that fixes a minor issue with tiffs, but that depends if you will run tiffs through ACR."

Actually, I just formatted my PC and experimented with the installation before hand. Now, I'm need to choose one of the three ways below,

1) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw Manually.

This will result in installing the Camera Raw 6.7 only.

I will have Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs.

The only thing is, when I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1 it will still display and recommend the Application Manager.

2) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw through Photoshop CS5.1, which is Application Manager.

This will result in installing the Camera Raw 6.7 and Application Manager.

I will have Application Manager, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs.

I would then never click on Application Manager to prevent it from becoming Creative Cloud.

3) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw through Photoshop CS5.1, which is Application Manager.

This will result in installing the Camera Raw 6.7 and Application Manager.

I will have Application Manager, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs.

Then, click on Application Manager to update it to Creative Cloud.

Finally, I will have Creative Cloud, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say, I don't like having unnecessary programs in my start menu. Especially, ones I know I will never, ever use. Like I said, I don't install any "extra/unnecessary" components with Photoshop CS5.1. I don't think I will ever even use Bridge CS5.1. However, Bridge CS5.1 has to be installed with Photoshop CS5.1.

Which installation option do you recommend I choose?

Are you saying that AAM, (all versions) is completely discontinued and has been replaced with Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you plan to update to update your product manually and you are not going to trial other products, you can try leaving out the AAM and simply going to Product Updates. If you have further problems, you can do that. CS5.1 is never going to be updated after that. It's a discontinued and non-supported product. As you upgrade Windows, know that CS5 is old code and may break on a future Windows upgrade. Research first before upgrading Windows.

You should not be nagged for AAM, but if it happens: Error: "Adobe Application Manager is needed" in Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and CS5 Even then you can go into the AAM/CC preferences and disable "launch with Windows" so you can decide when to fire it up.

You also can install the base AAM, it should not update without permission because a lot of times I have  to direct users to the Update.

I do not know why your copy updated earlier, but like any app, it won't launch unless you tell it to and you can exit it.

That's the best I know. I'm a CC Subscriber and never used CS5.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Since you plan to update to update your product manually and you are not going to trial other products, you can try leaving out the AAM and simply going to Product Updates. If you have further problems, you can do that."

This does not make any sense to me.

Can we please start over? Can you please try and answer the 3 questions I have below, directly?

I'm having trouble deciding on which way I should install Photoshop CS5.1 on my PC. Perhaps, I am overthinking this but wanted to get some feedback before I install the program.

-This will result in having Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and only Photoshop CS5.1 in my control panel programs.

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, it will display the Application Manager. Why this is, I don't know since there is nothing to update.

2) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw through Photoshop CS5.1, which is Application Manager.

-This will result in having Application Manager, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and only Photoshop CS5.1 in my control panel programs.

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, there are none and I'm fully up to date.

I would then never click on Application Manager in the start menu to prevent it from becoming Creative Cloud.

3) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw through Photoshop CS5.1, which is Application Manager.

-This will result having Application Manager, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and only Photoshop CS5.1 in my control panel programs.

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, there are none and I'm fully up to date.

-Then, click on Application Manager in the start menu and update it to Creative Cloud.

-Finally, I will have Creative Cloud, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and Photoshop CS5.1 plus Creative Cloud in my control panel programs.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say, I don't like having unnecessary programs installed on my PC. Especially, ones I know I will never use. Like I said, I don't even install any the "extra/unnecessary" components with Photoshop CS5.1. I don't think I will ever even use Bridge CS5.1. However, Bridge CS5.1 has to be installed with Photoshop CS5.1.

1) Which installation option should I choose, what is proper? (I know for sure that I will never become a CC subscriber)

2) Is Application Manager, (all versions) completely discontinued and officially replaced with Creative Cloud?

3) If I choose option 3, can I then safely uninstall Creative Cloud without effecting Bridge CS5.1, Photoshop CS5.1 and the Camera Ram 6.7 update? If I do this, will the Application Manager show up in Photoshop CS5.1 when I check for updates?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best advice I can offer:

Don't pay attention to the Application Manager then. You can safely ignore update offers and manually put them in yourself.

Manually download and install your CS5 updates and camera raw from the Product Updates pages that I have linked below.

Adobe software and product updates

Then when you are all updated, your job is done. You can move on to using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Although, I'm thinking option #3 may be the best. That is, IF I can uninstall Creative Cloud and the Application Manager does not show up when checking for updates in Photoshop CS5.1. I was asking you two other questions.

1) Is Application Manager, (all versions) completely discontinued and officially replaced with Creative Cloud?

2) If I choose option 3, can I then safely uninstall Creative Cloud without effecting Bridge CS5.1, Photoshop CS5.1 and the Camera Ram 6.7 update? If I do this, will the Application Manager show up in Photoshop CS5.1 when I check for updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just so you understand, after I install Photoshop CS5.1 without any extra components, there are only 2 updates available inside Photoshop CS5.1. These are Application Manager and Camera Raw 6.7. Obviously, Camera Raw 6.7 can't be selected without selecting Application Manager also.

Like I said, if I choose to install the Camera Raw update manually, the Application Manager still shows up by itself when I check for updates inside Photoshop CS5.1.

If I choose option #3, do you think Application Manager or Camera Raw 6.7 will show up inside Photoshop CS5.1?

That is pretty much my last question and apologize for the overthinking. Although, I feel like this is a somewhat basic installation question but Application Manager and Creative Cloud is causing issues for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go with 3, and you got the components you want, uninstall and never check for updates. CS 5.1 will not be getting any. It's discontinued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to take a step back and have a few more last questions.

Now that I think about it, I would like to forget about option #2. Installing an application in my start menu that I can't click on is stupid. Therefore. this gives me only two options,

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, OR when I'm automatically notified within windows, an Adobe window will pop up and recommend the Application Manager. Why this is, I don't know since there is nothing to update.

(Of course, I can set the preferences to not be notified inside the Application Manager before I install it.)

2) Install Photoshop CS5.1 without any components, and update Camera Raw through Photoshop CS5.1. This means I have to install the Application Manager also.

-This will result having Application Manager, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and only Photoshop CS5.1 in my control panel programs.

-When I check for updates within Photoshop CS5.1, there are none and I'm fully up to date. I will not be notified for any updates either.

-Then, click on Application Manager in the start menu and update it to Creative Cloud.

-Finally, I will have Creative Cloud, Bridge CS5.1 and Photoshop CS5.1 in my start menu programs and Photoshop CS5.1 plus Creative Cloud in my control panel programs.

My final questions, please try to answer in detail so I can finally decide on with installation method to choose.

1) Is Adobe Application Manager totally discontinued, (all versions) and replaced with Creative Cloud?

(I have tried to ask you this a few times already.)

2) If I go with option #2 and uninstall Creative Cloud, will the Application Manager reappear when I check for updates?

(If you don't know for sure, what would you guess, your guess is better than mine.)

3) If I go with option #2 and don't uninstall Creative Cloud, what's the worst that will happen?

(I have been trying to read up on what exactly Creative Cloud is and still don't really understand. It seems like it's only for CC subscribers and the application in which to download and install programs. Since I am not a CC subscriber, I guess I will have a program in my start menu that doesn't apply to me and serves no purpose. I basically will be able to login but that's about it. Is all this correct?)

4) Do you think option #1 is better for a long term installation method?

(For example, in 10 years do you think the Camera Raw 6.7 update may not even be available to download through the Application Manager and has to be done manually?)

5) Which installation method would you personally choose for log term?

Thanks and I apologize for all the questions.

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'll have to apologize too.

I'm not qualified to write a detailed essay on installation techniques for a 7 year old Photoshop version that I do not own, on an OS that I have not used lately, and on a computer model that I do not have.  I can only offer basic advice. I'm not the right ACP for this particular problem and we're better off with my saying so.

I'll leave your questions open for someone more familiar with your situation.

In addition I'll see if an Adobe Employee will look at this.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks Gene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have escalated this to the concerned team.

Thanks

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leo,

Its been a long discussion and I would like to thank Gene, for extending this support on this installation query. I would like to inform you that you that the easier and simpler way of installing Adobe Photoshop CS5 is to reinstall All Adobe from your machine and then reinstall Adobe Photoshop CS5 which is available on this link: - Download Adobe Creative Suite 5 products to download.

Let me try to help you with the answers that you were looking for.

1. Adobe Applications Manager was replaced by Adobe Creative Cloud after Adobe CS6.

Yes, after CS6, Adobe Application Manager was replaced by Adobe Creative Cloud.

2. If you have uninstalled Adobe Creative Cloud completely, you wouldn't be able to check updates as Adobe Application Manager is also required.

3. You wouldn't be able to update the application as Adobe Application Manager is not available.

Last available version of Adobe Application Manager is available here:

Please let me know in case you need further assistance with the same.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Atul,

After about 2 weeks of trying to decide on how to install my Photoshop CS5, I finally decided to go with option #1. I did so for many reasons.

Number #1

I would have ended up with Adobe Application Manager as one of my start menu programs. (Not to say this is a bad thing, but it seems to be unnecessary.)

Number #2

If I launched the Adobe Application Manager in my start menu, it would have turned into Adobe Creative Cloud and I would have an additional, unnecessary program (Creative Cloud) in my control panel programs. I really don't see a need to have the Application Manager or Creative Cloud. I only need the Camera Raw update.

Number #3

If I installed the Application Camera Raw 6.7 update inside Photoshop, it's not even the most updated version anyway. Camera Raw 6.7.1 is the last version that Photoshop CS5 supports, and this is thanks to Gene for letting me know.

The only thing that annoys me is after manually installing the Camera Raw 6.7.1 update, it still shows the Application Manager and Camera Raw 6.7 as available updates inside Photoshop CS5.1. Why it shows Camera Raw 6.7 when I already have 6.7.1 makes no sense to me. I just will never install the two updates and I selected not to be notified in the menu bar, under preferences inside the Application Manager.

Thanks you for clarifying that Application Manager has been completely replaced with Creative Cloud.

However, can you please be more clear with you answers to my other two questions.

2) If I go with option #2 and uninstall Creative Cloud, will the Application Manager reappear when I check for updates?

(If you don't know for sure, what would you guess, your guess is better than mine.)

"2. If you have uninstalled Adobe Creative Cloud completely, you wouldn't be able to check updates as Adobe Application Manager is also required."

Of Course, I can still check for updates inside Photoshop CS5.1, but would the Application Manager or any other updates still show up?

3) If I go with option #2 and don't uninstall Creative Cloud, what's the worst that will happen?

(I have been trying to read up on what exactly Creative Cloud is and still don't really understand. It seems like it's only for CC subscribers and the application in which to download and install programs. Since I am not a CC subscriber, I guess I will have a program in my start menu that doesn't apply to me and serves no purpose. I basically will be able to login but that's about it. Is all this correct?)

"3. You wouldn't be able to update the application as Adobe application is not available."

I don't understand this response.

Thanks,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leo, hope you are doing well. I would like to know if you were able to install Adobe Photoshop CS5 on your machine successfully after applying 1st solution or do you need any further assistance with the same.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Atul,

I think I am okay with the PS-CS5 installation. Now I need help with the PS-CS6 installation.

I will need to do the same and install PS-CS6 without any extra components, and need to manually install all the updates to avoid the Application Manager and Creative Cloud issue.

Step 1) Download and Install the 2 windows files under Photoshop CS6, Photoshop CS6 Extended from the following website.

Download Adobe Creative Suite 6 applications

What updates would be available after this installation?

Which version of PS-CS6 comes with this CS6 installation and is there an updates that I can manually download and install?

Which version of BR comes with this CS6 installation and is there an updates that I can manually download and install?

Which version of ACR comes with this CS6 installation? (I know I can update to the ACR 9.1.1. for CS6)

Thanks,

Leo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Application manager you need is for CS5, 5.1, 5.5 and 6.0 is version 6.2

The file that i downloaded was available as an update on Adobes website before Creative Cloud versions.

The specific filename is "ApplicationManager6.2_all.exe"

There appears to be 2 different versions that had different modified dates on the files inside.

Adobe should make the above file available for those who purchased their software before Creative clould.

Too specifically answer your question about Application Manager thats available do not update your CS5 or CS6 or other pre Creative Cloud Adobe apps to the the latest Application Manager.

If you can find the version 6.2 patch of Application manager then follow this procedure to install your software.

1. Disconnect from the internet no wireless or ethernet.

2. install your perpetual licensed Adobe software.

3. reboot again no internet access.

4. install the patch file ApplicationManager6.2_all.exe

5. reboot

6. Load your Adobe program

7. Reconnect to internet.

8. Use the help menu of your Adobe app to update individually or Application Manager version 6.2 to update your CS6 apps.

9. Do Not Update application manager to the Creative Cloud version.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After you've updated all the apps you can tell Application Manager that you no longer want to check for updates. There aren't any new ones anyway. So there's 2 check boxes to disable update checks in version 6.2 of Applications Manager. Uncheck them both.

If the above procedure doesn't update your apps automatically then you will have to download all the updates manually and install them one at a time. Thats a couple of hours for CS6 Master Suite. A real PINA.

If that's the case then install all the updates after step 4 above. Leave internet off till all the updates are manually installed. After installing all the updates reboot. Can install all updates without rebooting even if it says to reboot. Just say no to rebooting and keep installing the updates one after the other till they are all installed. Then reboot.

I recently did this manually for a friend. He has CS6 Master Collection that he needed to install after a motherboard failure.

Last after all updates are applied goto C:/Program Files(x86)/Common Files/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/PDApp.exe and change the PDApp.exe filename ot PDApp.exe.bak (Application Manager) so it can't run.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines