• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LRCC Crippled on Apple TV 4K and 4K TV

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am on a roll today getting things answered, here is another one - maybe more of a feature request.

4K TVs combined with Apple TV 4K are excellent ways to present images in high resolution and high quality large color spaces. However, it appears that Lightroom CC on Mac, iOS and the AppleTV apps are crippled in their ability to show 4K images and large color gamuts.

Apple's Photos app is capable of doing this properly and shows full resolution images (not so sure about gamut). I can export from LR a high resolution high gamut jpg file and import to Photos. This will then show up at high resolution in the Apple TV Photos app. One can also use airplay from an iOS device running Photos and that will be high resolution.

LRCC mobile does not support airplay so that route to high resolution is unavailable. The LR Apple TV app only uses limited resolution smart previews and only with color profile SRGB. The difference in resolution is quite apparent.

Have I missed something? If not, consider this a feature request:

Please implement airplay in LRCC Mobile for iOS

and/or

Please allow for full originals to download (in a defined color profile) to the LR app for Apple TV 4K.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very valid request.

I would certainly think that would be a very logical approach for Adobe to take. Makes total sense and I can see that way of doing things becoming more and more popular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to be able to do ratings (selects) via Apple TV 4K in the LR TVOS app, but that is more to ask, so I didn't. But since you could do that easily on an iPad while viewing the airplay image on the TV, I put the airplay request first. Think it is a fairly straightforward UI connection to an Apple API for airplay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree wholeheartedly. This should be fixed. I was assuming it was just taking a while before they got to the AppleTV app. There is no reason whatsoever to restrict color gamut as the smart previews have full gamut possible and their embedded previews are adobeRGB as far as I know. Also 4K resolution should be trivial. I think they simply didn't update the app yet. You should add this as a feature request at feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. This was one of the reasons I bought the Apple TV 4k. Adobe, please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree totally, however as only SmartPreviews are synced it may be difficult to get full 4K resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now it is only showing 1080p resolution. Smart previews are a bit larger than that (2540 pixels on the long edge). Of curse images loaded in Lightroom CC are available in full resolution so really should be able to be displayed in 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And 4k is just a beginning. Dell has a 8k monitor and tv manufacturers are selling 8k TVs.

Japan plans on using 8k recording and viewing at the 2020 Olympics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great request. Just bear in mind that this could be dependent on Apple more so than Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally agree!  would love to know what stopped them from 4K ? 

Also great idea for allowing ratings!  Would be so great to go through a client presentation on a 50+ 4k and choose our favorites through appletv without airplay and the iPad.

jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines