• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop RAM usage keeps going up???

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, starting just two days ago, my Photoshop has been experiencing weird memory issues. Normally with Photoshop as well as several other programs on, my computer runs perfectly fine at about 40% memory.

Now, when I use Photoshop for about 15 minutes straight, it goes from 1,000k MB memory up to over 8,000k MB, using up my computer's memory at 95% or so. I'm not sure why it's doing this- I've followed optimization tips and I'm still having the same issues. I have to restart Photoshop every 10 minutes because the RAM it uses climbs up LITERALLY by the second!!

I've never, ever had this issue until a couple days ago. Tried updating Photoshop to see if it'd fix anything and it's still the same.

Here are my computer's specs:

ASUS laptop

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz

RAM: 12.0 GB

64-bit operating system

Operating on Windows 10

Not sure what other details to include...???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working on a large document you should check your resolution.
Ensure that your RAM in the Idol Range from Edit> Preferences> Performance.... make your RAM 70% of your RAM memory.
When you have this problem again you can reduce the RAM consuming by going to Edit> Purge> All. it will delete all history and cashes of your file.

Can you please tell me the measurements & the resolution (PPI) of the file you are working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only working on a 300dpi document that is 3000px by 3000px, and I set the RAM range to 50% because it was so bad. That has not stopped the memory from climbing up to 96% every time, though.

I purged, but that doesn't help with anything (RAM usage still continues to go up)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening just with this document or in all dicuments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM Photoshop uses depends on what you do in Photoshop.  On my machine Photoshop normally  uses less than 10GB of Ram.  However I had done things that cause Photoshop use 35GB of my 40GB of RAM and 100+GB of scratch space.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that Photoshop reserves memory up to the limit is normal and not a problem in itself. This memory will not be released by closing the file, that's also normal.

This is why you set a limit in Preferences - you need to make sure there is some left for other processes running at the same time.

A modern operating system also caches memory for its own purposes. At any time, you shouldn't have much "free" memory at all - again, that's perfectly normal. Free memory is wasted memory. It should all be put to use.

Are you getting slowdowns, general performance problems or "out of memory"-messages?

If you see memory usage steadily go up without any activity, you have a memory leak. This can be caused by third-party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey, don't disturb ... this is the bug ... of program PS2017avg ver 18
This problem is also known at other computer configuration  and it may be  solve with 16 gb ram and more.
this bug araise from a bad optimization of this PS version.
And  which is more alarming and worrying of Photoshop ver 18, 19 you will see in my new post. .

which is more alarming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines