• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC problem saving as jpeg

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a three-fold problem that started after I did a "reset all tools" to correct a glitch problem I was having with the clone stamp.  The "reset all tools" solved the clone stamp issue, but somehow reset some other settings and I can't figure out how to get them back.

1) Before yesterday and the "reset all tools" , when I worked on a CR2 file in Photoshop CC, I would chose "Save As" when finished editing, and the default would be to a .jpeg file. Now it aims towards a .psd file.

2) I know how to change the file type under "Save As." The issue I'm having, though, is after I do this, the main CR2 file I was editing remains unchanged and does not appear as the new .jpeg file name.  Before the "reset all tools," once I saved as a .jpeg, the file I was editing appeared as a .jpeg in Photoshop CC.

3) After repeatedly using "Save As" to save the file in the various primary and backup locations I used, the .jpeg files do not appear in the "recent file" list for Photoshop CC.

4) When I finally close the CR2 file, Photoshop CC does not recall that I've saved the file multiple times and asks me again if I want to save the changes.

I feel like something I did in the "reset all tools" caused this, but I've searched up and down on the internet for a way to return to the saving process I had yesterday and can't find anything. Some help with setting the "Save As" default back to .jpeg when saving a CR2 file would be great. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

I bet you're cropping, and the crop tool is set to hide cropped pixels, not delete them. This means you get "Layer 0" instead of a flat "Background" layer - not supported in the jpeg format.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all normal. If you attempt to save as jpeg, and the file has properties not supported in the jpeg specification (like for instance 16 bit depth, layers, or alpha channels) - then Photoshop will save out a jpeg copy.

This means the original still sits open in Photoshop, separate from whatever you have saved out. If you attempt to close it, you will then get a prompt if you want to save that original. But that can't be as jpeg if you have some of these properties mentioned above. So you need to save that out as psd or tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually doesn't answer my question. Before I did the "reset all tools," yesterday, every time I saved a CR2 file, CC defaulted to .jpeg and, after the save, the only file in my workspace was the .jpeg file (the CR2 file was dropped from the workspace and only the xmp data was preserved on the CR2 file... which was the way I wanted it).  I would just like to know how to get my CC back to whatever settings allowed this, so that I don't have to choose .jpeg from a drop down list and re-type the same file name 4 times every time I save a completed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said. Does the file have properties not supported in the jpeg format? If you're opening the cr2 in 16 bit depth, you can't have jpeg as default, because jpeg doesn't support it.

Jpeg is a very limited format and you don't have to do much with a file before you're outside the specification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you're cropping, and the crop tool is set to hide cropped pixels, not delete them. This means you get "Layer 0" instead of a flat "Background" layer - not supported in the jpeg format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a possibility... They were all cropped. I just checked and "delete cropped pixels" wasn't checked on the crop tool. yesterday I caught the "content aware" checkbox, but not the other ones. I'll give it a whirl. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! That was the problem. The "reset all" took the cropping down to "hide pixels" rather than "delete pixels" and the .jpeg won't save the "hidden" layers. Thanks for your trouble shooting help! Back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, but it's possible that somehow the "reset all tools" also did something to the raw editor. Before yesterday, it all worked fine.  I don't know how to set how the raw editor opens CR2 files. If you want to point me in that direction, I'll look. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines