• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

avoid hidden information

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I'm submitting this question again.  I mistakenly marked it as correct in my previous post.  We'd like to not get PDFs with hidden information.  Is there something we can tell our submitters so they don't give us PDFs with hidden information?  I have Acrobat XI. thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Well, it sounds as if it considers the font damaged/invalid. Higher standards apply to accessible (508) PDFs than ordinary PDFs. It definitely isn't hidden, the fonts are part of the visible page. This isn't an error I've seen before - has anyone else seen it or found a work around? I suspect we may need to start this now as a new topic in a different forum to catch the eye of the right experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of hidden information are you referring to?  E.g. something like Metadata, e.g. Title, Author is a requirement for Accessibility purposes.

It could be helpful to make a checklist for people submitting PDFs to you, they could refer to the checklist of things that are OK or not OK to submit as part of PDF submission.

Have you looked at using the build-in redaction feature in Acrobat to remove hidden information?

See: Removing sensitive content from PDFs in Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cari,

I'd like to be able to remove hidden information w/o removing any visible information.  When I attempt the built-in feature to remove hidden information, it'll often tell me that other information such as digital signatures can be removed.  I'm posting PDFs that others have authored and can't take the risk of removing anything that should be there.

Thanks for your response,

Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to fully understand what you mean by "hidden information" and why you want it removed. What is the issue you are trying to solve? Digital signatures are hidden, so consider why you don't want to remove them, for example? Are you sure other "hidden" information isn't important?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am posting PDFs from a 3rd party to the web.  I don't have access to their original documents, nor can I contact them.  The PDF that is posted to the web must be the same as what we received.  There can't be any information added or deleted.

Thanks for responding. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was fine until we were required to remediate the PDFs for 508 compliance.  When that is done, sometimes weird characters manifest w/o warning.  That's the reason to want hidden information gone w/o messing w/ the content.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the process of removing hidden information when using Acrobat, you can see the information that will be removed in the right hand panel and you have the option to deselect specific items so that those items will not be removed by the process. You nay need to expand some collapsed categories or objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you must post what you received, I don't understand why you would remove any information, hidden or not? Or even why it would be allowed given that it must be the same... Sorry, I still don't understand your motivation or what you mean by "hidden". I'm sure it's important. Perhaps you could tell us the sort of problem you're trying to avoid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Test Screen Name - when I remediate the PDFs for 508 compliance, sometimes weird characters manifest - which I believe is a consequence of the hidden information.  If I didn't have to remediate, yes, you're right - the hidden information would not be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be jumping to big conclusions. You should also bear in mind (this thought had just occurred to me) that accessibility information and tags in a PDF are hidden. Hence if you just delete hidden information you will REMOVE all the hard work (if any) put into 508 compliance.

I suggest you take a step back to looking at the specific problem with weird characters, and not assume it's down to hidden information. It's more likely a font encoding issue, not hidden at all. Please describe your issue in detail, with screen shots if possible. Please do NOT try to email screen shots though, doesn't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

508-error.JPGHi Test Screen Name - I've been unable to reproduce the stray characters, but here's an error message I got with one that gave me trouble.  I assumed that the hidden information was the culprit, but maybe it's font encoding.  Is there a way to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it sounds as if it considers the font damaged/invalid. Higher standards apply to accessible (508) PDFs than ordinary PDFs. It definitely isn't hidden, the fonts are part of the visible page. This isn't an error I've seen before - has anyone else seen it or found a work around? I suspect we may need to start this now as a new topic in a different forum to catch the eye of the right experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks so much Test Screen Name.  OK.  I'll start a new topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines