• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 2017 won't open .aep files

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows. After the new update, when I go to click on the icon for an old After Effects file, it won't open. It give me the 'open with' options, but when I navigate to where the new version of AE is, it still won't open. I can open a file by first opening After Effects, and then opening the file from there, but if AE isn't open, it won't let me open specific files. This is true for old files, or new ones that I save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell you what -- turn your machine OFF.  Wait a minute.  Turn it back on again.  See what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did that. I had this problem yesterday, so I shut my computer down for the evening and started it up again today. Still has the same problem. Others in my office are having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then right click on the .aep file, and select the "open with..." option. Look for your new after effects version and make sure that you mark on the "always open this type of files with...", and from then on it should give no problems.

Maybe when opening the file it will say that the project was made on a previous AE version, but often it won't give problems regarding the compositions and all the effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cham8380  wrote

I already did that. I had this problem yesterday, so I shut my computer down for the evening and started it up again today. Still has the same problem. Others in my office are having the same issue.

Could this be an AE CC 2018 file?  You either need to have it backsaved to your version, or you have to install the new version.  I personally vote for backsaving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave, I'm having a similar problem. I'm use AE CC 2018 to create a project, and I saved the completed project to both my flash drive AND my desktop (MacBook). I need it on the flash drive so I can move it between computers at home and school. However, as soon as I eject the flash drive and try to open the files that are saved to my desktop, it says the files are corrupted and they won't open?

This happens when I save the files to my dropbox at school, too. They will open on my school computer as long as the flash drive is installed, but as soon as I eject the flash drive, it says the aep. files are corrupted and can't be opened. I don't know what the term "backsaving" means? Could you please provide further explanation? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had similar issues with associating the files to my software. my problem is it was associating it with the wrong version. finally I found a few helpful tips and sorted out my problem.

1. click run and in the search type set associations. you will see this

2. type .aep

select it from here

if this does not work, then a registry intervention is required. I had to do this once from this answered response in this thread:I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know alexandram46452955 , I am guessing there's a similar feature to Win7's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey cham,

Did you ever get this issue sorted out? It would be helpful to know so that your experience could guide others.

Thanks so much!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines