• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop slightly lags/delays all the time... is this just how it is?

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only used PS on an older, less great computer in the past, but recently I finally got a higher end computer with the capabilities to handle PS well, and was pretty excited about it. But while it does definitely run better now, I'm noticing a brief delay or pause when I do simple actions, ex undoing, zooming in, changing brushes, etc. Keep in mind it isn't a HUGE lag, only about a half second really. But I use other drawing programs too, and ALL of them can do these actions immediately. That's what I'm used to, so it's very noticeable to me when I work in PS, and it messes with my workflow.

Here is an example of the lag when I undo. When it shows me clicking Ctrl there, I am hitting Z at nearly the exact same time. Notice how it takes about a half second for the undo to happen. Again, in every other program I own, the undo happens immediately. But not in Photoshop.

ps lag.gif

The computer is brand new and all the drivers are up to date. I've tried a lot of the optimization settings already. I've turned Use Graphics Processor on and off, and changed its settings. I've tried changing the cache levels and history states. None of it seems to do anything.

And it makes me wonder-- I used to think part of the lag was just because I was using it on a mediocre computer, sure. But... is this just how the program is? I cannot find anything that seems to change this, nor anybody mentioning this problem-- all lag issues people talk about are only if they're really long, not these smaller pauses. I find Photoshop incredibly useful but I sincerely hope there's a fix to this and everyone isn't just tolerating these delays and got used to it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting PS preferences

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave that a shot, and it didn't work initially, but doing that then restarting seemed to have improved the performance.

The problem now is that it becomes laggy again after being open for a while. Restarting doesn't fix it, and resetting preferences doesn't fix it, but doing those together seems to improve things. While that's fine as a temporary solution, is there any option besides this? I don't want to have to constantly change all my settings and preferences back almost every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, it's been a long time since this feed was active..

Does anyone find solution for this? I have same exact problem. Everything I do, there is this microlag, clicking on layer, Undo, Redo, moving with objects everywhere.

Thanks lads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines