• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Icon appearing in runtime view of a text caption

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CP2017 (10.0.0.192) and have a text caption with a list of 10 variables. The lesson developers use an Advanced Action to populate as many of these variables as needed, usually only few. The remainder are set to a blank. At runtime (Preview - HTLM 5) we are seeing the following icon in the upper right corner of the text field:

expand_icon.png

Can anybody tell me what this is and what are (or are not) doing to have this display?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are creatting a responsive project with the Fluid Bxes work flow. That icon means that the tect cannot be displayed in the text container anymore due to the setup. When clickinb that button the whole text will apear in a popup window.. With inserted variables it is not easy to estimate the space needed on runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using fluid boxes, however, I did suspect it was an "text overflow" problem of some sort. Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that this is a non-responsive project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well as far as it can be non-responsive in 2017, in other words, we are not coding it to be responsive. (This is not my decision, but I'm glad 2017 makes it easy to make that switch, because I can see them asking for it before we are done!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a 'Blank' project is it non-responsive. I have never seen that icon appear in a non-responsive project which is the reason I asked about it. If you created a responsive project, the default work flow is with fluid boxes, not with breakpoint views. It is in Fluid Boxes work flow that you'll see those icons on runtime, not in Breakpoint Views. I don't understand the sentence 'Well as far as it can be non-responsive in 2017, in other words, we are not coding it to be responsive.'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lessons are created as "New Project from Template". What I meant by that statement is knowing CP2017 is supposed to be so easy to convert to a responsive, but I did nothing in the template to set up a responsive format.

Paul's video explains this can be (usually is) caused by unseen formatting such as carriage returns. I have checked all the assign statements for the variables in the list and even manually retyped them to be sure they were clean, but I'm still seeing this icon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a couple of versions cptl-files (templates) do have a lot of issues. I certainly would never recommend to use them at all. Do you need a template? Is a theme (which is not causing any problems) not sufficient?

If you ddn't choose to convert the project to a responsive project, it will not have been done automatically. That is a misunderstanding a non-responsive project remains non-responsive. To convert it to a responsive project you need to use File, Save as Responsive project. If this has not been done, you are stil on on non)-responsive project. In that case the video you have watched has no real meaing.

Was that template created in a previous version of Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built the template from a blank, although I may have been converted from my CP9 version into the current CP2017. I chose the template because the I wanted to provide samples of slides that will be needed in the lessons and the theme did not allow me the same access to elements on the screen (i.e. names that can be referenced in an Advanced action). I do use the theme to set up the different screen layouts: titles, graphic area, text areas (with style definitions), etc.

I certainly hope I didn't pick the wrong path, we just can't go back and start over!   😞

I have been told we will NOT be delivering responsive, so that's what I'm going with. Although experience tells me they will be wanting it a year or two from now. But, I have to march to the requirements of the contract (I have no influence there!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand but those problems with Templates are real, and expecially when you use advanced actions in the template.

A better way is to create a cptx-file that you'll reuse. You can lock items that shouldn't be changed.  Personally I never use a template but combine using a Theme (object styles, master slides, skin) with shared actions in an external library. That was since those problems with cptl-files started. I do use a lot of advanced/shared actions and variables, shape buttons on master slides with attached advanced or shared actions.  Sorry to try you to dissuade from the cptl-way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your experience and knowledge, as well as your willingness to share.
Can my existing template be saved as a cptx and then lose the unreliable nature? Or do the bugs stay with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot save a cptil as a cptx, you can only create a cptx from that template and then double-check everything. I'm sorry, not able to helo you better, because I don't use templates anymore. I am also not sure if the appearance of the icon (which I never did see in a normal project) will disappear, if it is also linked with the cptl-issues. I just worried when I did see you were using templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our answers crossed. The problems in a template are with the advanced actions, that I'm sure about. Actions get duplicated, variables go awry. You can copy advanced actions to a blank project, for unknown or unavailable items addressed by the advanced actions in the new project, a dropdown list will appear similar to the one that appears when you use a shared action as a template (not the same meaning as a cptl file, I mean the shared actions in the dropdown list top left of the Advanced Actions dialog box, they can be used to create an advanced action^). I would try with a couple of slides to recreate by copy/paste in a cptx project. Hoping that this could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

It sounds like it might be worth it for me to rebuild the slides I currently have in my "template" into a cptx. We have not been satisfied with the lack of stability in our lessons thus far - all made from the template. We have been seeing a lot of quirky things happen that has cost us production time. If this would help us boost production that would be awesome as we are seriously falling behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, really recommend to use a Theme, and instead of a cptl file, a cptx-file with a lot of locking. Use master slides as much as possible. Shared actions instead of advanced actions when possible (not always the case) can save a lot of time. Use external libraries with much used assets, instead of having them in the 'template' file. Shared actios are in the LIbrary, contrary to advanced actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! I will take you advice!

I already have master slides set up for the various screen layouts. My experience with Shared Actions is limited, I tried to set one up but it didn't seem to save any effort. Perhaps I can find some help with this in your blogs, to be certain I am using the feature to its full advantage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have a look at this post, where I put in links to my articles about shared actions:

Power of Shared Actions in Captivate - Captivate blog

Yesterday I posted a pretty simple solution (compare it with the solution of the other user) where I use one shared action as object action for this D&D problem.

Drag and Drop with Advanced or Conditional Action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my video on this topic and see if it helps you setup your text container so that it doesn't appear if you don't want it.

https://youtu.be/yNO5eWTr6jc

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a look at it right away, Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still trying to get that little box to go away. From the information here, I did learn that the box is displayed on the LOWER, right corner. I have two text captions one above the other so now I am focused on the upper one instead of the lower one. I have a list of variables in both the upper and lower text captions. The developers populate these variables with an assign in an Advance Action. I have the variables in the upper box set to 70 characters or less, the width of the text box is about 90 characters, the longest line is about 40. Have checked the assign action to verify there are no hidden formatting to cause more text than there is room. I’ve run out of ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem!

There was a "stray" variable in the upper text caption that was several lines down from view. I had expanded the box to the right edge and down to just above my navigation buttons and the little box (icon) disappeared but the stray text show up!  Cleared all that up, reset the text caption area back to its original size and the icon is now gone!!

Thanks so much for your help Lilybiri and Ron! I appreciate you both monitoring the questions we pose and the insights you provide.

Lilybiri, if you can still answer my question about converting my template to a cptx I would greatly appreciate that, I'd like to know if I do that will our development be less buggy going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to answer that question in my previous answer. you can only create a cptx from that template, there is no other way to convert a template into a cptx file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources