Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection Tool cuts my Objects

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear People,

I am new to Animate CC and I just wanted to try a small animation. I created a rectangular.

When I want to select it with the selection tool by not making the selection all over the object but touching it partially as I usually do in all other Adobe applications, the selection tool cuts my object where the frame of this tool hits my object. So I have two rectangulars on the layer. Or a new one and the old one missing this new created piece.

Do I unterstand something totally wrong? It does not make sense to me, since it's the selection tool which should select an object and not parts by splitting it.

Thanks for any help,

Marcel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2017 Dec 23, 2017

yes, that's working exactly as expected and as explained in my first post: you can also press and drag the selection tool to select multiple shapes or the rectangular part of a shape selected by dragging

if you want to select an entire shape click on it, don't drag.  if you want to select a shape and adjoining shapes (eg, a shape and its stroke/boundary) double click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the selection tool will select all of the shape you click on.  you can also press and drag the selection tool to select multiple shapes or the rectangular part of a shape selected by dragging.  and you can use the lasso/polygon tool to select parts of shapes (and there are other ways to make selections/subselections).

Screenshot - 12_23_2017 , 6_45_43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

thanks for taking a look at my post. Maybe I mis-explained the behavior. I've uploaded a screencast. I think this is not what the selection tool should do, should it? The lasso, yes. I'm massively irritated. Working with Illustrator since a lot of years.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that's working exactly as expected and as explained in my first post: you can also press and drag the selection tool to select multiple shapes or the rectangular part of a shape selected by dragging

if you want to select an entire shape click on it, don't drag.  if you want to select a shape and adjoining shapes (eg, a shape and its stroke/boundary) double click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Marcel+Reidock  wrote

When I want to select it with the selection tool by not making the selection all over the object but touching it partially as I usually do in all other Adobe applications, the selection tool cuts my object where the frame of this tool hits my object

That's exactly how the rectangular selection tool works in Photoshop, an Adobe product.

And, that's happening because they're not objects, they're shapes. If you want your shapes to be treated as objects, you have to turn on object drawing mode, or group the shape after it's drawn.

Draw and create objects with Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you! You're absolutely right, I didn't know it was that different. I will check the adobe help page. Thanks for the link, ClayUUID.

Have a happy new year,

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines