Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please HELP - Correct Adobe Stock image attribution - Social Media + Website

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am not sure how to correctly use Adobe Stock images ... For example here are three scenarios:

1) Modified image (Standard license) to use on Facebook, Social Media Channels

As far as I understand I can use this images without attribution, right?

2) Un-Modified image (Standard license) to use on a website

With or without attribution?

Enough to name the author on a separate credit page?

Or is it a must to overlay the image with attribution?

3) Modified image (Standard license) to use on a website

As far as I understand I can use this images without attribution, right?

Quote from the Adobe Stock license terms page (License information and Terms of use | Adobe Stock 😞

Post the asset to a website with no limitation on viewers. If the asset is posted unmodified to a social media site, attribution is required (© Author Name - stock.adobe.com).

Thanks for helping,

A.

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Hi Alexander,

As per the licensing terms, if the image is modified then the attribution is not necessary however, you can still give the author credits on a separate credit page which is an optional choice.

But if the image is unmodified, then the attribution is required over the image itself where it can be read in the provided format.

I apologize for the confusion caused here.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexander,

• You can license an image from Adobe Stock and you are welcome to modify the non-editorial asset in any way you deem necessary. Note, however, that your modifications must not violate or infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, nor place the author or the model in a bad light or depict them in any way that might be deemed offensive. Also, in no ways can you use them(the assets) without an attribution. The right way to use them is to give a credit to the photographer.

For more information, you may refer to Common Questions, Adobe Stock

• Unmodified images to be used on a website also requires an attribution. It is okay to give the credit to the photographer on a separate credit page.

• Under no condition can you use the assets without attribution be it modified or unmodified as it will then remove the rights from the Adobe Stock and thus a violation to the terms.

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello twaritar3263062 🙂

thank you for answering, so you say the following (please correct if I miss-understand) ...

For website:

Un-Modified image (Standard license) to use on a website requires an attribution

Modified image (Standard license) to use on a website requires an attribution

Give the credit to the photographer on a separate credit page is allowed instead of an overlay credit text

Do I get this now right?

Now for Social Media , Facebook , etc. ... How to handle it here?

You wrote this:

twaritar3263062  wrote
  • Under no condition can you use the assets without attribution be it modified or unmodified as it will then remove the rights from the Adobe Stock and thus a violation to the terms.

But why the terms page describe this in another way? Quote from the Adobe Stock license terms page: "... If the asset is posted unmodified to a social media site, attribution is required (© Author Name - stock.adobe.com) ..."

See Screenshot here: https://d.pr/i/TdOaGV+

So this means to me that I do not have to attribute the image if I modify it, right? FYI: This was also a feedback that I get from a support chat from Adobe staff. So what is right here? This is very confusing.

Best, A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexander,

As per the licensing terms, if the image is modified then the attribution is not necessary however, you can still give the author credits on a separate credit page which is an optional choice.

But if the image is unmodified, then the attribution is required over the image itself where it can be read in the provided format.

I apologize for the confusion caused here.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sheena Kaul,

okay so this is much clearer now - and you're totally right ... to credit authors on a separate credit page is: FAIR USE 🙂 no problem ... thanks for helping ...

Best, A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have also a question to this topic.

What does it mean to modifies an image (Standard license)? Is an image modified, when I put text, shapes, forms or somethings like that over the image? Does that mean modified?

I hope you can answer this question, because I find it very unclear what means modified and unmodified.

Regards,

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The modification of the image means to edit the image in any form.

Any change made to the original file is considered a modification.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is resizing or cropping the image considered a modification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to attribute, as long as your modification does not result in a new work that is interpreted as a different artwork. 

So these are not image modifications that allow you omitting credits:

• resizing and minor cropping (please don't ask if this or that cropping is now minor... It's for sure not a mathematical definition where you can say that a 50% crop is no more eligible for crediting).
  • converting to bw or monochrome or bi-chrome or similar
  • adding simple text to the picture (I'm in opposition here with Sheena's prior post).
  • other minor edits.

I've seen examples where I would say that attribution is not necessary. Those examples are highly edited pictures that are probably combined from multiple assets where none of the assets was recognizable without intimate knowledge of the editing that took place. 

If in doubt, credit. For sure it does not harm to credit, but it may be a violation of the terms if you don't.

I look it in this way: if the assets would be mine, would I still ask for crediting or would the image be that different now that I would barely recognize my own work?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you should give credit to the photographer for a modified image on a seperate page and not on the modified image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you also need to indicate that you modified the image? or is okay to not state that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started