Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image size for A2 print

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

I need to adjust my image size to print for A2. My printers don’t actually print to that size but said to make the image in photoshop A2 then select canvas size to 20x24 inches (a size they print) and then they can trim it. What is the correct way to do this? I tried but the file size ended up being so Large that it was too large to upload. What am I doing wrong? Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Hi Amanda

The simplest way would be to do this.

1. Prepare your image at 16.5 x 23.4 inches at whatever resolution (ppi) you have been asked to provide

2. Go to Image - Canvas Size and extend the canvas to 20 x 24 - ensuring that the anchor is in the centre as below:

3. Save as PSD then use Export - save for web to export a copy in the format you need to send (probably jpeg)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda

The simplest way would be to do this.

1. Prepare your image at 16.5 x 23.4 inches at whatever resolution (ppi) you have been asked to provide

2. Go to Image - Canvas Size and extend the canvas to 20 x 24 - ensuring that the anchor is in the centre as below:

3. Save as PSD then use Export - save for web to export a copy in the format you need to send (probably jpeg)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't using "Save for Web" default the resolution to 72PPI which would not be suitable for printing?

I would have thought a RGB image around 4000px x 4800px at 200PPI and saved as a PDF using the preset High Quality Print would be the way to go (unless the printer offers a different spec).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point on Save for Web changing the ppi metadata Derek, I'd forgotten about that

Amanda, at step 3 , just use Save As and save a copy in the format required

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splitting hairs, absolutely, but nevertheless important to understand what's going on:

Save For Web doesn't set 72 ppi as default. It strips resolution metadata altogether. The 72 figure appears when the file is reopened into Photoshop, because Photoshop needs a ppi figure - any ppi figure - to size fonts, size smart objects - and size prints.

If the image is placed and sized on the paper by the printing software the ppi figure doesn't really matter. However, you'd then risk slight resampling, which may throw off any output sharpening you've done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou D Fosse.

This blog from Adobe explains why SFW has been deprecated: Save for Web in Photoshop CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Useful link Derek - thanks. Unfortunately Export As is still not fully developed as a replacement. Hopefully they will get there one day.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you! will give this a try. Has to be supplied as jpeg or tiff file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines