Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 4 crashing when camera is connected

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

After many frustrating weeks of reading online forums and trying to find a solution, I am no closer to resolution.

I do not have a cell phone or any other devise attached to my iMac (macOS High Sierra 10.13.1) (2 months old).

I am attaching my Canon Mark lll and other canon camera bodies which have previously been fine. As soon as they are attached to the computer, Lightroom crashes if already open or won't open if not yet open.

I am unable to load pictures as I am not sure how to bypass and have been loading via LR.

Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated as I am getting really frustrated.

Thank you!

Maeda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that Lightroom will import from other locations (Dropbox, etc.) fine, it is just coming in from my cameras.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling 'Show import dialog when memory card is detected' in Preferences | General | Import Options

Close Lr

Restart computer

Launch Lr

Attach camera

?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. I tried this, but the same thing happened. As soon as I turned on the camera to start the import, LR shut down. The message to follow read
"Lightroom quit unexpectedly. Click to reopen the application again. This report will be sent to Apple."

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds as if there is a possibility of a faulty cable connecting the camera to the computer. Have you thought about using a card reader as an alternative? Card readers are considered to be more reliable and are usually much faster in completing the download process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thought Jim.
I will try to get my hands on a card reader and give that a try.
My cable does load to my other Mac and to DropBox, etc. So that makes me wonder if it is something just with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional thought is that I may have switched up cards and cameras in the loading process.

I have received a message when loading onto another computer that the file format cannot be recognized. Might I have confused the computer by trying to load pictures from a camera that the card was not originally formatted to and/or from the camera that didn't take the pictures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a faulty cable issue. I just went to High Sierra on my mac about a week ago and today Lightroom gives the exact same error as listed above when my Canon camera is attached. I thought I would try out the creative cloud option and I don't even see the camera in there. So I am still stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Creative Cloud option, Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having looked back at my pictures I think "ginab" has hit the nail on the head; this is a new "feature" following an upgrade to High Sierra.

Hopefully the underlying fault will be fixed by Apple.

Accessing the CF card directly via  a reader can work; I had to use the "files" list not the "devices" one.  It's devices that crashes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maeda,

This exact thing is happening to me as well.  Have you been able to figure out a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines