• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increasing Canvas Size Not Working | Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I am fed up with Adobe's (profanity removed) products constantly (profanity removed)up ever since CC was created years ago. (Profanity removed) never works properly and I'm (profanity removed) sick to death of it. Why the (profanity removed) when I change the canvas size to 105 percent (Increase the canvas size by 5 percent) does it make it like twice as big? Fix your (profanity removed) products, thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 5.19.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 5.18.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 5.19.07 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Because you have it set to "Relative"

Can you fix your potty mouth?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

'I have used it in the past and it didn't crop the image'

Using the Canvas Size command to reduce canvas size has always cropped the image. Using Image Size does not.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Your video showed in the first half you used Canvas Size to  decrease the canvas size and got a warning message that it would clip, which it did. The second part shows that you used canvas size to increase the canvas size which by definition does not clip anything - it just adds canvas.

All appears to be normal and in line with the replies above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you have it set to "Relative"

Can you fix your potty mouth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does NOT fix what he's having problems with, [abuse removed].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly I'm tired of it myself.  The tool works when it wants to.  Can you fix it already?  Five years later and it's still doesn't work right, it keeps cropping my image.  How about an up-to-date tutorial on youtube if it in fact works the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Storm2012 wrote:

it keeps cropping my image. 

Hi

When you use Image menu > Canvas size and reduce the size of the canvas, the expected behavior is that the image will be cropped. 

On this Help page from Adobe, scroll to the heading for "Change the canvas size" for details"

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adjusting-crop-rotation-canvas.html

05E993A6-A14F-44B7-A215-E8CDB8312C83.jpeg

Does this answer your question?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used it in the past and it didn't crop the image.  I hope I can get footage in the future of when it works and then when it doesn't work.  The tools are wishi washi, I'm gonna say it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I have used it in the past and it didn't crop the image'

Using the Canvas Size command to reduce canvas size has always cropped the image. Using Image Size does not.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I said it did not crop the image, how is his solution right? video to follow if I can upload it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Storm2012 wrote on 27 July:

If I said it did not crop the image, how is his solution right?

Dave's solution from 02 June is right because that's how canvas size works in Photoshop.

You yourself said on 21 May that decreasing the canvas size is cropping your image.

Here's the screenshot that I posted from Adobe's Help page earlier in this thread. You may have missed it. Note the part that I had highlighted in yellow:
"Decreasing an image's canvas size crops into the image."

janee_0-1658972030425.jpeg

Is it possible the you used Image Size previously? As Dave also said, Image Size does not crop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I show at the beginning how it works now and the second part of the video I show where it worked the way it should.  So was that a fluke?  Is it me or what am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video showed in the first half you used Canvas Size to  decrease the canvas size and got a warning message that it would clip, which it did. The second part shows that you used canvas size to increase the canvas size which by definition does not clip anything - it just adds canvas.

All appears to be normal and in line with the replies above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SO, I can see you're upset about this.

But you’ve had some very helpful replies here.

Have you tried it?

To reduce image size without cropping you must use "image/size" to resample the pixels.

Using image/ canvas size to decrease canvas size will crop. That’s the way it works.

To add a plain border to the image you need to use image/ canvas size to increase canvas size.

Setting that to 105% adds a 5% wide border based on the original's dimensions.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines