• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anchor point navigation

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of questions about the use of anchor points vs hyperlinks.

As I understand it, hyperlinks are used to take you to a different page on  your website or to a different website altogether.

Anchor points take you to a specific location within a page.

Does the anchor point link have to be located on the same page as whatever acts as a button in order to be specific in it's navigation?

So far the best I have been able to accomplish is to link to a general location on the same page as the anchor link.

In one case I have a very tall page with a dozen photos.

I put the anchor point near the bottom of the page but when I try to navigate to the anchor link from a separate page it only takes me down about a third of the way to the bottom.

Do I need to somehow align the anchor point with some website geography for the link to know where to navigate to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

If your page is long enough for an anchor to reach the upper left corner of the browser, then another reason may be that your site is responsive, but the anchor is not in the object stream. With a different screen width, the anchor is in a different position relative to the content. The solution is to add a text frame to the stream of objects and cut and paste the anchor inside this frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a hyperlink points to a location... that can be another page | site or an anchor (on the same or different page)

all web browsers will try to place linked anchors at the top | left so it is a bad idea to place anchor points in the center of your design because that will make the page scroll to the left

jarvis393  wrote

So far the best I have been able to accomplish is to link to a general location on the same page as the anchor link.

In one case I have a very tall page with a dozen photos.

I put the anchor point near the bottom of the page but when I try to navigate to the anchor link from a separate page it only takes me down about a third of the way to the bottom.

place your anchor at the left border of the page design so that will become the top of browser i.e, an anchor at the very bottom of a page is no good because that can never get to the top... there must be enough page remaining under an anchor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link can lead to sn anchor on any page.

Be aware, that scrolling to the anchor stops, when the anchor reaches the upper left corner of the browser window.

If your page isnā€˜t long enough and the anchor canā€˜t reach the top edge of your browser window, the expected anchor position canā€˜t be reached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight guys!  Did not realize that there would be browser limitations.

I will poke around some more with anchor position until I figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your page is long enough for an anchor to reach the upper left corner of the browser, then another reason may be that your site is responsive, but the anchor is not in the object stream. With a different screen width, the anchor is in a different position relative to the content. The solution is to add a text frame to the stream of objects and cut and paste the anchor inside this frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines