Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need advice on PP CC 2018 optimal multiple hard drive configuration

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone.

I'm sure this topic gets beat to death so I apologize in advance for re-hashing this stuff but I'm just looking for a little guidance here.

My goal is to decrease export times and increase general performance in read/writes across multiple drives.  From the little bit of reading I've done here I'm starting to realize that premiere might just be one of the most complicated programs I've had to deal with to get 'right' in terms of utilizing  multiple hard drives to increase performance.

Please understand we are on a budget.   For now I will say that we are stuck with the hardware we have unless the financial situation changes at which point I can build a dedicated editing computer.   Until then......

Processor: Intel i7 920 2.4GHZ 4 core.

mobo:          MSI  X58-M 

The north bridge of the chipset is running an Intel ICH10 controller for the drives.

Ram : 6 banks which hold 3 dimms of 2GB 1333mhz and 3 dimms of 4GB 1333mhz modules all running in triple channel mode totaling 18GB. The memory is actually only running at 1066mhz which I understand is result of the CPU.   I have some tweaking to do here in terms of the memory clocking and processor clocking.  I'm going to attempt an overclock of both but that's digressing from the topic at hand here.

Video card is an MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8GB TwinFrozr VI

Raidmax Vampire 1000W 80+Gold powersupply. Dual 12V rails

NOW.... the hard drives:

1)     The OS, ProgramFiles, SWAP is sitting on a new 525GB SSD - Crucial MX300 SATA III.    3D NAND  530MB/s sequential Reads and 510MB/s sequential writes. Dynamic Write Acceleration

2)     1 empty 110GB OCZ Revo Drive X2 - For those unfamiliar...  This is a dual 55GB SSD RAID 0 configuration. It's essentially 2 SSD's on their own PCIe card that DO NOT connect to the ICH10 on the north bridge.  They sit on their own controller which is sitting in the the mobo's secondary PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.

3)      1  Intel X25 180GB SSD.  -   I got this on sale and I was pretty disappointed.  It has TERRIBLE small read write access and stutters on small files but is fine on larger files.   I'm not thrilled about this drive so my feelings wouldn't be hurt if you guys told me to ditch it for my setup.  This is currently holding "in progress" Premiere project files. So all the source files we are using for our projects. 

4)      1  x Western Digital BLACK 2TB drive holding our important stored files, family pictures, documents etc.  We'll call this our storage drive unrelated to premiere projects

5)      1 x Western Digital BLACK 2TB    - sitting on my desk not currently installed.

6)      1 x Seagate 2TB - in a toaster drive dock that isn't normally connected.  I sync our storage drive to every week as a backup drive to backup data from Drive 4 (Storage drive).

7)     2 x Western Digital BLACK 2TB in a RAID 1 configuration to store Finished Premiere Projects.

So..........

We are attempting to create short 4K videos, with run times between 5 and 15 minutes on average, for a YouTube channel.   We are using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018.

Premiere was installed by my wife presumably with installation defaults.  It was installed to the C: drive/ProgramFiles folder.   Nothing has been changed yet in terms of preferences for Premiere.

Drive 1 needs to remain the OS drive.   The Revo drive WAS the OS drive until yesterday, but it was too small and we were running out of space constantly so I cloned it to the new Crucial.  

So what would you guys suggest I do with the rest of the drives for optimal performance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am running Windows 10 64

It might also be worth noting that the Revo drive Raid 0 can be run as either a Raid 1 or non-raid.  Running in non raid would result in 2 standalone 55GB SSDs on a their own controller separate from the ICH10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My systems do not used hard disk drives for any Premiere Pro editing functions.  They are fine for backup and archiving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya.  Maybe I'm over complicating this.  That's never happened to me before (sarcasm).

So nothing premiere related on the HDDs.

Ok so focusing on that Intel SSD with the stuttering issues related to small read/write problems.

Should I ditch that drive completely?

So go with a 3 drive setup and break up the raid 0 Revo drive and configure for 2 individual 55gb drives.

C: Crucial 525gb SSD for OS/programs/swap

D: OCZ 55GB SSD1 media cache

E: OCZ 55GB SSD2 output drive

F: 2TB western digital RAID 1 for FINISHED projects

G: 2TB RAID 1western digital  for Storage

H: 2TB Seagate BACKUP of G: STORAGE in external drive dock

Is that making more sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

\

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Morgan+in+the+country.  wrote

Ya.  Maybe I'm over complicating this.  That's never happened to me before (sarcasm).

So nothing premiere related on the HDDs.

Ok so focusing on that Intel SSD with the stuttering issues related to small read/write problems.

1. Should I ditch that drive completely? 

So go with a 3 drive setup and break up the raid 0 Revo drive and configure for 2 individual 55gb drives.

C: Crucial 525gb SSD for OS/programs/swap

D: OCZ 55GB SSD1 media cache

E: OCZ 55GB SSD2 output drive

F: 2TB western digital RAID 1 for FINISHED projects

G: 2TB RAID 1western digital  for Storage

H: 2TB Seagate BACKUP of G: STORAGE in external drive dock

Is that making more sense?

1..That 2009 vintage Intel is for all practical purposes useless with only 200 MB/sec Sequential Read Rate an about ~70 MB/sec Write rate.and only a SATA II interface

2 I would leave the Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders in their dafault location on the Crucial C: drive as it is much faster

3 Then I would first download CrystalDiskMark and test your Revo drives to see what the the Sequential transfer Read and Write rates are.  You could also RAID 0 them and test that configuration gives you.  What size are your worst case largest projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Bill. 

I'm afraid I threw you a bit of a curve ball.

Im not sure why I thought it was a x25.   It' not.  It' a 520 series Intel....

Here is the actual drive.....

Intel® SSD 520 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) Product Specifications

Sorry for the confusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say this, but the ICH10R that the X58 chipset uses predates the advent of chipset-integrated SATA III and chipset-integrated USB 3.0. As such, your SSDs are restricted to a maximum sequential read/write speed of only about 270/256 MB/second, respectively, even if your drives are themselves capable of higher. Any SATA III support an X58 system offers is entirely through a jMicron or a Marvell chipset which is itself slower than a newer integrated Intel SATA chipset and creates a whole new set of compatibility headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Randall,

If you look at my CPU intensive PPBM results, way t the bottom of the list you can see it is an abominable score for a i7-920 CPU Better than 2.4 times slower than my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Is the chart on the first post in the above thread still valid 7 years later?

If yes.....

What's the difference between 'media' 'project files and 'media cache' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the difference between 'media' 'project files and 'media cache' ?

Project files are the .pproj files that contain the editing information .

Media Cache Files:

When importing video and audio into Adobe Premiere Pro, it processes versions of these files that it can readily access for faster performance. These are referred to as "media cache" files. These are stored in the Media Cache Files folder. In addition, there is a folder containing a database, which retains links to each of the media cache files. These are referred to as "media cache database" files. They are located in the Media Cache folder.

from here:

FAQ: How to clean media cache files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, ok things are starting to become more clear.

So can you or anybody else tell me if the chart from 2010 is still valid?  I should be able to get by from this point if the answer is yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can you or anybody else tell me if the chart from 2010 is still valid?  I should be able to get by from this point if the answer is yes.

Only if you are using only HDDs and no SSDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines