• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I control what gets uploaded to the cloud during a LR catalog import?

Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LR on my desktop for some time and decided to try the CC photography plan. I thought that I understood that if I import my current catalog then everything would be "synced" to the cloud. This poses a few questions I would like clarification on: 1 If I do this to my catalog and later decide that the CC plan isn't for me I can't go backwards. Correct or incorrect? 2. My current catalog is larger than the plan storage. How do I control what is synced and what isn't?

Thanks in advance for the help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing a 'catalog' has no effect on your local (Lr Classic CC) catalog.

Stay with the cloud system or not, your local Lr and catalog is untouched.

Put the files you want synced into their own collection(s) and only sync them.

Once you enable syncing there will be a little double arrow looking icon to the left of collections, click it to enable/disable that collection for syncing.

All other files/images in your catalog will remain on your local system.

You could have 2TB of images on your local drive(s) yet decide to sync only 1 of them if you so choose.

Maybe a test with just a 1/2 dozen images to start. Learn the system with those then decide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response. I wouldn't say that I need to "learn" the system, other than how Adobe handles the cloud storage, which is woefully inadequate (20 GB) at the photography plan price point. While their storage option may be convenient and necessary for those that are technically challenged, there are certainly other cloud storage options available that are cheaper and most likely more secure. I really have come to appreciate the features of LR 6 but from what I have been able to ascertain on this site it appears that it is doomed to a slow death of no updates in favor of the subscription model that Adobe is now pushing. Time to cut bait and find an alternative I guess. Once again, thank you for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines