Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw downloads

Participant ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a very hard time understanding the Camera Raw and the DNG Converter downloads. The link below is the Adobe site for all windows, Camera Raw and DNG downloads.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

As you can see version 7.1 and before offers the option to download the Camera Raw OR the DNG Converter.

Where as version 7.2 to the current 10.1 only offers the Camera Raw + the DNG Converter download.

I understand if my camera doesn't support the version of Camera Raw I am using, I need to use the DNG Converter. However, I can always use the most up to date version of the DNG Converter, regardless of what version of Camera Raw my version of Photoshop supports. Is this correct?

For a Photoshop CS5 user, how do I download the current DNG Converter 10.1 only, without the Camera Raw 10.1?

Since I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my machine, if I were to manually install the DNG Convertor 10.1, will it install Camera Raw 10.1?

I assume there are two possible answers for this,

1) The DNG Converter 10.1 will not install Camera Raw 10.1 because the installer somehow recognizes that I have Photoshop CS5 installed and that Camera Raw 10.1 is not supported with Photoshop CS5. 

2) The DNG Converter 10.1 will install Camera Raw 10.1, but I will never be able to use it because it's not supported in Photoshop CS5.

Please help me get to the bottom of this and thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the latest Camera Raw for CS5: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Camera Raw 6.7.1 Update

This is a link to the latest DNG Converter along with pictorial instructions on how to set it up and use it with ACR 6.7.1

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

All the DNG Converter does is to take any Camera Raw files from Camera models that came after CS5 and convert them to .dng so that CS5's ACR can open and edit them. It does not install Camera Raw 10.1 on CS5, because CS5 is not designed to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clear up any confusion, The DNG Converter is a separate utility from Photoshop. It is not part of Photoshop. You launch it separately when you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please only refer to the website I am questioning.

Yes, I already am aware that ACR 6.7.1 is the latest version for PS-CS5. I already have it downloaded and installed. There was no confusion with the download, because the ACM 6.7.1 and DNG Converter 6.7.1 had separate downloads.

"All the DNG Converter does is to take any Camera Raw files from Camera models that came after CS5 and convert them to .dng so that CS5's ACR can open and edit them. "

I am well of aware of this and what the DNG converter does.

"It does not install Camera Raw 10.1 on CS5, because CS5 is not designed to use it."

So, are you saying that if I had PS CC, (a version of PS that supports ACM 10.1) and manually installed the DNG Converter 10.1, it would then install ACR 10.1 also? (Please answer, yes or no)

"It does not install Camera Raw 10.1 on CS5, because CS5 is not designed to use it."

Since I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my machine, if I were to manually install the DNG Convertor 10.1, it will not install Camera Raw 10.1 also because the installer somehow recognizes that I have Photoshop CS5 installed and that Camera Raw 10.1 is not supported with Photoshop CS5. Is this correct? (Please answer, yes or no)

Again, I understand if my camera doesn't support the version of Camera Raw I am using, I need to use the DNG Converter. However, I can always use the most up to date version of the DNG Converter, regardless of what version of Camera Raw my version of Photoshop supports. Is this correct? (Please answer yes or no)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking your questions in order and as you want them answered:

No

Yes

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting that you answered my first question as no.

The DNG Converter 10.1 download is for both the ACM 10.1 and DNG Converter 10.1. Meaning two different things are being installed. If I had a version of PS that supports ACM 10.1 why would the DNG Converter 10.1 not install the ACM 10.1 also?

If this is correct like you say, how would someone be able to download ACR 10.1 for a version of PS that is supported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets say I have PS-CS6 and wanted to updated my ACR to 9.1.1 which is the highest version supported. If I were to download and install the DNG Converter 9.1.1, it would install both the ACR 9.1.1 and the DNG Converter 9.1.1, correct?

I'm sorry, but the only way this ACM and DNG Converter download site would make sense to me is if there were all the versions of ACR to select and only the latest version of the DNG Converter available. I say this because any user can use the most recent version of the DNG Converter regardless of which version of PS or ACM they are using.

I am still very confused with this download site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use CC anyway...so I get the latest ACR in the updates and do not have to bother with the fine points of DNG converter downloads. So basically my know-how gets vague when things do change and when I have no reason to keep up.

What's more confusing is that past ACR downloads are here: Camera Raw plug-in installer  ACR may no longer be packaged with the DNG Converter.

If you still want answers about the specifics of DNG downloads, go here: Digital Negative (DNG) forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm glad you also think the ACM/DNG Converter downloads are a mess. For a moment there, I thought I was the only one!

Before, I close this post and for a PS-CS6 user, should I choose the DNG Converter 9.1.1 download? Now, this would certainly install BOTH the ACM 9.1.1 AND the DNG Converter 9.1.1, correct?

If so, should I then uninstall the DNG Converter 9.1.1 before installing the current DNG Converter 10.1, or just install the current DNG Converter 10.1 over top of the existing DNG Converter 9.1.1?

Is there any reason for someone to want an older version of the DNG Converter? That is what makes this so confusing to me. If it's always recommended to use the latest DNG Converter, I don't understand why are the older versions even available for download. Like I said, there should be separate downloads for the ACM and DNG Converter for all versions. Like there is with versions 7.1 and before.

I really am not trying to give anyone a hard time with this. However, these ACM and DNG Converter downloads do not make much sense to me the way they are offered. I will check out the DNG forum and thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS6 User is best off using Help > Updates to get ACR 9.1.1 installed, then downloading the latest DNG Converter, 10.1

That should end any uncertainty as to whether both ACR 9.1.1 and DNG 9.1.1 will be installed via manual download (which doesn't make sense, but I never went that route), so I may be missing a few fine points for for a moot topic.

I will point out one thing for those hanging on to Windows XP, ACR and DNG stops at version 8.3. So one reason there is an archive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that makes sense then to offer older versions of the DNG Converter for older OS. My statement still stands, they should offer all the ACM and DNG Converter downloads separately like they do for versions 7.1 and before.

I would only be interested in manually installing the ACM 9.1.1 update for CS6. if you remember, we already been through that with the Application Manager and Creative Cloud nonsense. Therefore, should I download the DNG Converter 9.1.1?

If it ends up installing both the ACM 9.1.1 AND the DNG Converter 9.1.1, should I then uninstall the DNG Converter 9.1.1 and then install the DNG Converter 10.1, or just install the DNG Converter 10.1 over top of the DNG Converter 9.1.1?

Also, would there be any other updates for PS-CS6 besides ACM 9.1.1 if the installation is done without any additional components? Such as, PS itself and Bridge. If so and again, I would only be interested in manually downloading and installing these updates.

I realize I don't even have PS-CS6, but I want to make sure that I can manually install all the updates and know where to download the updates before hand. If this can't be done, I would not want PS-CS6 and rather stick with PS-CS5. 

Is there a huge difference between ACM 6.7.1 and ACM 9.1.1? Do you think it's worth $600 just for the ACM 9.1.1?

I would think it's worth it, if the Cannon camera I get is supported in the ACM 9.1.1. I say this because I wouldn't even need the DNG Converter then which would save my the extra step of having to convert all my RAW files.

Last, would you choose a camera you didn't like as much since its supported in ACM 9.1.1 over a camera you would rather have but is not supported in ACM 9.1.1? 

Please don't blow these questions off since I don't have PS-CS6 right now and perhaps you don't support people purchasing them. I understand the risk and thank you for the warning.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please note that this forum is answered by volunteers. We are not Adobe staff (unless you see the red "Staff" badge.

Gener7 answered the main questions earlier. For CS6 load ACR9.1.1 and then install DNG Convertor 10.1.

If that DNG installation updates your ACR then just restore the ACR 9.1.1 plug in. Camera Raw is just a plug in , so is simple to restore.

Your later question worries me. You asked if "it's worth $600 just for ACM9.1.1"..."   This suggests you are looking to purchase CS6.  However Adobe no longer sell CS6. Photoshop is only sold on subscription. Therefore I would be very wary of any source selling CS6 license.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gene,

I have a great oppertunity to purchase a PS-CS6 copy from a friend,

for a great price.

I currently have PS-CS5 which is pretty cool. However, is there a

major improvement from ACR 6.7 to ACR 9.1, regardless of camera

compatability? Meaning, just processing power.

I can see the adjustments are labeled differently. Such as, CS6

shadows replaces CS5 recovery and CS6 hightlights replaces CS5 light

fill.

Please let me know and thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines