Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the Eizo CS240 still worth it?

Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the market for the Eizo CS240. Is it still worth it in 2018 for 520 euros or is it dated?

I'm trying to take my photography to the next level and become more of a professional.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

The CS240 is still an excellent high-end monitor that will serve you well for many years. Go for it.

But you shouldn't even think about using any other calibrator than ColorNavigator with an Eizo ColorEdge! This is software that works directly with the monitor's internal processor, fully integrated. Other calibrators are stuck with adjusting your video card, which is inferior in more ways than I have time to list now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. It used to be the best "bang for buck" deal on the market, by a huge margin. At 520 euro it's a steal.

What they have done recently is just to simplify the ColorEdge range a bit. It used to go CS - CX - CG at increasing price. Now they just have CS2420 and CG 2420. That makes sense.

Aside from an excellent display in its own right, the big bonus here is the ColorNavigator calibration software. Make sure you get that included. It's hands down the most powerful and sophisticated calibration software in existence (and I've tried virtually all of them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a second. Eizo prices seem to have dropped a bit, at least here in Norway (maybe a local currency exchange thing).

In any case, the new CS2420 is about 650 euro here, including ColorNavigator+sensor. You might consider that instead. I don't know what changes have been made from CS240 to CS2420 - probably not much. Always nice to have the latest model, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I live in Belgium but i do my p mostly trough Amazon Germany and Amazon France.

the CS2420 is about 650 and a bit over my budget (I'm already stretching to go 600): https://www.amazon.de/Eizo-CS2420-Monitor-DisplayPort-Auflösung/dp/B01BMD8R2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid...

the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS240 is more than a 100 euros cheaper: https://www.amazon.de/Eizo-CS240-BK-LED-Monitor-Reaktionszeit-schwarz/dp/B00N85L5EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...
Also: that colornavigator? is it something that comes included, because from what I can see it is just a free softwaredownload (in which case both of the displays are supported by it)
What strikes me as odd is that the 2420 doesn't come with a displayport while the older 240 does. I thought that a displayport was really the way to go?
witch one would you buy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, witch color calibrator would be good with these displays? are there any in particular that make use of the hardware calibration/special software (sorry if i'm asking stupid questions, but I'm at a total loss when it comes to computer monitors)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS240 is still an excellent high-end monitor that will serve you well for many years. Go for it.

But you shouldn't even think about using any other calibrator than ColorNavigator with an Eizo ColorEdge! This is software that works directly with the monitor's internal processor, fully integrated. Other calibrators are stuck with adjusting your video card, which is inferior in more ways than I have time to list now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i wont need to buy a device like this: https://www.amazon.de/Wacom-EODIS3-DCWA-Kolorimeter/dp/B00RX1FTNW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&... ? It is all calibrated using the monitors own hardware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eizo monitors are sold in several editions, one includes ColorNavigator software and sensor (colorimeter).

If you already have a sensor, you can also buy an edition with software but without sensor. The software supports all sensors on the market, i1Display Pro, ColorMunki, Spyder etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elineb84941013​ - if you are still considering your next monitor purchase, I've been researching the EIZOs and came across some reviews that compare the CS240 with the CS2402:

https://www.color-management-guide.com/eizo-coloredge-cs2420-monitor-review.html

Test Monitor Eizo CS2420 (Seite 6) - Prad.de

This should bring up an English translation of the article from the German publication PRAD

http://www.colourspace.xyz/eizo-coloredge-cg2420-cs2420-reviews/

I would rather get a BenQ Graphic DesignVue series desktop, because they offer more features for the money.  However, I came across some cautionary reviews of BenQ that concern me.  Still struggling with the decision to spend so much for the EIZO, especially since I've never seen one personally. 

I've also been researching video cards for Photoshop and whether 10-bit and HDR monitors are truly of any benefit to digital artists and photographers.  I'll be glad to discuss and share notes if you care to.

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sue.Martin.1  wrote

I would rather get a BenQ Graphic DesignVue series desktop, because they offer more features for the money.

No doubt, but much less basic panel quality for the money. On paper there's no contest, the BenQ wins hands down at half the price - in real use the situation is very different. Compare panel uniformity for one thing, you won't find that in the specs. Or highlight/shadow separation and accuracy.

These budget brands compete by aggressively cutting corners, to achieve impressive paper specifications. That's the business model.

Not to mention the ColorNavigator integrated calibration software. It's worth the price difference alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines