• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked smart objects dose not change master file size.

Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a master file (Mac OSX)  that I am working on and I replaced few REGULAR layers with LINKED smart object layers in order to reduce the file size.

The problem is that the file size does not change. When I look at the actual file in the finder before I made the change it is 481 megs but when I look at the same file after I replace the regular (non-linked) layer with Linked smart objects layers, the file size remains the same at 481 megs. On the doc. file size view on the bottom left hand side of my document it says 231/738; even after I make the change.

Can any one explain?

Additionally, will Photoshop's functions speed up if I am working on a master file with LINED OBJECTS instead of regular layers?

If not, then what is the efficiency benefit of working with linked smart objects given that I typically don't work with a team and just want to work faster?

Thanks for your time and action.

Before

Screenshot 2018-01-01 14.44.17.png

After

Screenshot 2018-01-01 14.58.02.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you use a linked smart object, the document still contains a layer the size of the rasterised image from the smart object. So in your case you will see no difference between the smart object and using a rasterised layer

The advantages of a linked smart object are :

1. The layer in your file will only be the size of a single rasterised layer - even if the file it links to contains several layers

2. When you update and save the source file, the linked smart object is updated.

3. If you duplicate the linked smart object in your document , there is no further increase in file size

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @davescm. That is helpful in understanding linked smart object layers. Much obliged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davescm, any thought on this question:

When  I apply a paint filter to a linked smart object layer it takes several minutes to process, but if the layer is just a normal layer the filter process is much faster. Since I work with large photo files this process makes using fillers useless to me.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have an iMac 27 inch machine with 32 megs of RAM and only have Photoshop open. Files are operating at 100 % efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd not noticed any difference so I just tried applying the oil paint filter to several single layer photos and then did the same with those photos as linked smart objects in a new document (applying the oil paint filter to the linked smart objects). I used the timer in the info panel to compare and both came out the same ( 0.4-0.5 seconds.)

What size documents are you using?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davescm,

My document size is 30 X 30 @ 300 dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to dig up an old thread, but regarding 3rd thesis, it does increase size twice if you duplicate a linked layer. Do I do something the wrong way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time you add a layer you increase the file size. If you have one layer and duplicate the layer, I believe you double the size of your file. If you have 50 layers and add a layer with a lot of paint you also increase the file size but only proportionately. That is my understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

My explanation was poor

If you duplicate a smart object - then it increases the file size in memory only by the size of a single raster layer, regardless of content.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines