• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action/image process script didn't work correctly

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Towards the end of last year I created an action to convert hundreds of files from ~72 ppi and ~RGB to CYMK 300 ppi for print. Yes of course there were some errors, but for these errors, nothing happened to these files, aka they didn't save or convert or anything, so I did those 30-50 odd manually. Today I was moving the converted images into indesign and I noticed  some of them are still RGB/sRGB and not 300 ppi? (most seem to be 96 ppi). Do you know why this the case? the action I created opened images, converted to CYMK profile, changes the ppi, saved and closed the files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of the size of the image in InDesign. Scaling will affect the ppi and not alter the pixel dimensions. Because of this process unless you are planning on printing at a specific physical size at 100%, then don't worry so much about the ppi, as the ppi will be changed.

Keep in mind that the ppi is a metadata value and has no effect on the image it self, it only determines what size it will be printed at.

Knowing this, you have two choices, 1) you can set the ppi in photoshop then make sure the image is 100% in InDesign or 2) Don't bother with the ppi in Photoshop and just scale the image in InDesign.

Whether or not the image is blurry, pixelated or other not wanted side-effect will depend on the pixel dimension.

What that value is will depend on the physical size you want to print at. The smaller the image, the lower the pixel dimension can be.

All that said, the easiest way to remember is to just use the formula.

inches x ppi = pixels

To recap - Because scaling in InDesign does not affect the pixels, when scaling in inches, the ppi value must change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not even closely related to what I was asking. Read the question. I'm asking why the action/script didn't work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I took it because of how it imported into Indesigner. As for the script throwing errors, that could be anything, including not having permission to write in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines