• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question: Error Code 4 InDesign CS6

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I open an indesign CS6 file as a copy in attempts to retrieve the error code 4 message I am receiving? Right clicking does not give the option to open as a copy.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

This worked for me:

quit InDesign

goto: ~/library/caches/

and delete this folder: 'Adobe InDesign'

This folder wil be recreated when you open InDesign.

Open the apparently corrupt (error 4) file. In my case it opened without problems. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Open... and click the As a Copy radio button in the lower left of the dialog.

Probably won't help, though. Error Code 4 usually means the file is toast. Do you have a backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally helped with a CC2014 InDesign file! The first time it crashed InD, but the second time it open the file.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into this problem on 8-4-13. I "logged off" my iMac, logged back on, and while it rebooted, InDesign6 splash showed up, along with name of my Error Code 4 file. When the reboot completed, InDesign was open but the file wasn't. It opened nicely, though, and seems stable. Whatever happened, the file also was slimmed from 7.5 MB to 5.5 MB, so something nasty was removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Indesign CS6 has issues, Adobe says not but only reaffirms with posts like this.  We still have a problem here with Indesign and students opening files and getting an error code 4 or error code 5.  Quit Indesign and open it again and the files are fine.   If you keep trying opening and closing the files it eventually happens again with the error.

Like the lockfile gets corrupt and Indesign caches the problem or something.  Not sure.

Here is a video I found showing the issue.

http://youtu.be/vYp2_QxM3wc

Here is my original posting with Adobe blaming us:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1168914

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't "Adobe" suggesting there's a configuration problem in the other thread, it was me, and I stand by that. Yes, there are some users who seem to have this problem, but it is a VERY small percentage of users. Are you working across a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some files are on a network, but are supposed to be dragged to the local computer and then worked on.  Students usually keep the files on their external Hard Drives.  I had two users today one using network only and the other using her Hard Drive and both had error code 4 and couldn't open the files.

No issues with any other program except for Indesign CS 6. Indesign CS 5.5 worked fine.  Looking at that video explain to me how you can open files continuously fine in the same session then all of sudden Indesign starts reporting the files are corrupt and give the error code 4 or 5.  Quitting Indesign and then opening the files again they miracalously work again.   http://youtu.be/vYp2_QxM3wc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot explain it, because I don't know where those files are stored, though it doesn't look like it's onthe local hard drive, which implies a read error. Those things happen on networks and external hard drives all the time.

There are reported problems with opening files using a double-click on the file icon, as shown in the video, and for the most part they seem to open fine if you open ID first and use File > Open. Have you and your students tried that? Off the top of my head I don't recall what, if any, causes for that behavior have been identified, but again, it is NOT a common enough problem to suspect a bug over system configuration issues or software conflicts of some sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cashxxdb, 

Closing then re-opening (not rebooting mac) worked like a charm. I would have never guessed, thank you.

Anita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It worked for me too. I was almost crying cos the file is long and my backup file was also presenting Error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:

quit InDesign

goto: ~/library/caches/

and delete this folder: 'Adobe InDesign'

This folder wil be recreated when you open InDesign.

Open the apparently corrupt (error 4) file. In my case it opened without problems. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting!!  This solved my problem with Error Code 4.  Saved the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this problem (Code 4) upon trying to open a file. After reading the thread, I closed Indesign and immediately reopened it. Then opened the file. Seems fine now.

Local file using Indesign CC 2015, latest release (as of 2/16/16).

Posting in case anyone else with CC 2015 has issues. Close ID, restart. Open file. Should be fine.

Just one users opinion and process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, in average once a day. I get the error and once I close and reopen ID, the file opens fine. (knock on wood) I tried updating Indesign hoping Adobe had come up with a fix for the issue, but it still keeps happening. it started doing this out the blue several months ago.

Does anyone know why it does this or a fix for the issue? I also tried trashing my Adobe Indesign prefs and cache.

Please post if you find a fix!~ thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is adobe.. A bug like this reporting for 3 years, and still this shows up after the latest install.. What a shame such a creative company is so (fill in the blank) about its customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem with Clean my Mac 3. (On the Maintenance tab)

Brilliant app, I recommend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across the same error, as well, and may have found a cause to some of the trouble.

In my case, quitting InDesign and restarting got me to open the file. When opening the file, there was a dialog alert regarding use of an InDesign that only works in CS6 and earlier. Once this dialog closed, all was OK.

Looks as if, in my case, it was due to this deprecated plugin. I deleted the layer with the offending plugin, and all looks OK  now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, thanks a lot, it works! I was already crying at the thought of having to redo all the work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much - that really did the trick. I've backed-up that doc as well. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting InDesign preferences solved the issue for me.

1. Quit InDesign (if it is open)
  2. Launch InDesign and press Command + Option + Control + Shift (Mac) or Control + Alt + Shift (Windows)
  3. The prompt should appear asking you if you would like to delete the preferences file. Hit 'Yes' and after the InDesign opens try to open the file.

Note this will reset all your InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me! thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines