• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are filters so slow with linked smart objects?

Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When  I apply a paint filter to a linked smart object layer it takes several minutes to process, but if the layer is just a normal layer the filter process is much faster. Since I work with large photo files this process makes using fillers useless to me.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have an iMac 27 inch machine with 32 megs of RAM and only have Photoshop open. Files are operating at 100 % efficiency.

Any thoughts would be useful.

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven’t noticed Filter performance differences for SO and pixel Layers yet.

Could you post a file for testing or at least post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

Which exact Filter/s are you talking about?

Are multiple Filters applied to the SO?

Are you sure the pixel Layer you used for comparison was equal in pixel dimensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you c.pfaffenbichler​,

I don't know why but it is not a problem any longer. Yes, I was applying multiple filters to Linked Smart Object Layer. It is slow but not like before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When multiple Filters are applied they may have to be reapplied when changing one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mr. Pfaffenblichler, the question you posted regarded LR not recognizing a folder you wanted o export to.

I am having the same problem importing into my assignments folder,  but oddly enough, when I import into any folder within my "assignment" folder, it imports.

Ed

LR Classic Mac losing connection to external hard drive

This question is Not Answered.

cornicellophotoLevel 1

I updated my Mac OS (Sierra 10.12.6 security update) this morning. First thing I noticed was that Lightroom said all my files were missing from my external hard drive. I confirmed that the drive was mounted and I could access it and all my files in the Finder. Also ran some tests with TechTool and found no problems. Used Lightroom's find missing files tool and just clicked on my external top level and they all came back. Seemed OK.

Next I tried to import photos from a session this morning. Lightroom says that my external drive is not available, so is going to import into my Pictures folder on my startup disk. I somehow worked around that and got LR to import to the external (I was in panic mode and not taking notes, but I probably navigated to an existing folder on the external and used Import to this Folder.

About an hour later I had another set of images to import. Same thing. Lightroom tells me the external drive is not available and wants to use Pictures. To get around that I manually created a new folder on the external, then pointed Lightroom to that and got the files imported. But when I went to the Develop module for one of them the work area was solid gray. The only time I could get an image was with the Crop tool. Back to Grid view and they all show. I was able to Edit in Photoshop fine.

Possibly related, my backup program (BackupList+) is also not working correctly as of this morning. Acting as if it doesn't see (a different) external drive. Configuration is an iMac 27-inch late 2015 with 3 external drives. 1 Firewire (G-tech) and 2 USB-3 (G-tech and WD).

So, how's your morning going?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines