• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I remove photos from the Lightroom CC without deleting them permanently? I just want to remove it from Lightroom CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

You can't. If you remove them they are deleted forever. If you want to keep them, you need to first export them to originals from Lightroom CC to another location before you delete them. This is the disadvantage of using a cloud-based system. The originals are in the cloud and deleting that deletes the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No response?  Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. If you remove them they are deleted forever. If you want to keep them, you need to first export them to originals from Lightroom CC to another location before you delete them. This is the disadvantage of using a cloud-based system. The originals are in the cloud and deleting that deletes the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, but still unclear how far the deletion goes. You import images to LR CC from a folder. Are those cloud copy images with their associated local storage independent of those in the original folder? Or, in other words, if you delete images from LR CC, does that leave the original images in the source folder untouched or does it delete those too. And vice versa, if after importing into LR CC you edit or delete the image in the original folder, is the LR CC image affected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting only deletes the copy in the cloud and the local copy if it is there. It doesn't do anything to any of the images from which you imported. After importing into CC there is no link to those images anymore so changing the files you imported from does not update them in CC nor does Lightroom CC modify them. Originals in CC are all stored in the cloud. Any local copies Lightroom CC puts in its designated folder are just copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

josege9876  wrote

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

After everything is uploaded to the cloud (be really sure this has happened!) you can remove your USB drive and point Lightroom CC to your internal hard disk for local storage. It will only download what's needed up to approximately the amount you set in your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I closed Lightroom, pulled the drive, started Lightroom again and it said 'I miss my drive', there was a nice button with 'Forget that drive', after that, everything hunky dory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note--and I'm not certain this is correct. In my case, I first COPIED all my photos to an external SSD that had sufficient room to make duplicates, then uploaded from the SSD to Cloud. My main HD originals were never involved in the upload process apart from being copied previously to the external SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same procedure here. My originals connected to Lightroom Classic are still on my NAS, untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frederickb38578225  wrote

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

Sorry for late reply. It seems I missed your original response but yes that is correct.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Yes that is true. After you are absolutely sure everything is uploaded to the cloud, you can safely delete the in-between copy you made on the blank external SSD and point the local storage directory back to your internal hard disk if you want. This leaves your Classic catalog untouched, uploads all originals to the cloud and makes Lightroom CC only download those raw files you need for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have recently started using Lightroom CC. I flagged a bunch of photos I did not want to keep as "x" and permanently deleted them. When I go back to the folder on my Mac, I can still see them there. I thought by permanently deleting them, the photos will get removed from the local disk as well. Is there anything that I am missing?

P.S. I have been using a trial version of Lightroom CC and the trial has now expired. I would like to try out the Lightroom Classic CC before I decide to buy either of them. Is there a way I can import my photo albums etc and edited photos from Lightroom CC into Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hasansheikh  wrote

Hi, I have recently started using Lightroom CC. I flagged a bunch of photos I did not want to keep as "x" and permanently deleted them. When I go back to the folder on my Mac, I can still see them there. I thought by permanently deleting them, the photos will get removed from the local disk as well. Is there anything that I am missing?

P.S. I have been using a trial version of Lightroom CC and the trial has now expired. I would like to try out the Lightroom Classic CC before I decide to buy either of them. Is there a way I can import my photo albums etc and edited photos from Lightroom CC into Lightroom Classic CC?

Which "folder on your Mac" do you mean? If you add photos to LRCC from an existing folder on hard drive, LRCC copies those images to a different location, from where they are uploaded. The original images on the hard drive are not "managed" by LRCC, only the copy that it makes for uploading are managed in accordance with whatever settings you have on the Local Storage tab of the LRCC Preferences. So if you are referring to the original folder, then yes they will not be deleted when you delete them from the cloud. If you are in fact referring to the local copy that LRCC made, they should get removed over time by LRCC.

Importing the photos/edits from LRCC to LR Classic should happen automatically when you launch LR Classic AND enable it to sync using the same credentials that you are using for your LRCC trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. I was referring to the original images stored on the hard drive. I was not aware that LRCC only manages a copy of the original images. I am trying to use to sort out all the images I take before starting to editing them i.e. import them into LRCC, go through the images I do not need, and then delete them. Can this be done in LRCC? Or, is LR Classic CC more suited for this purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you get to the stage where you're importing NEW images into LRCC, either via mobile or from a camera/memory card into LRCC on the desktop, then there's no similar issue. Images from camera/card are copied into LRCC and uploaded/managed from there, and the original images will not be a factor as they'll be lost when you reformat/reuse the card.

So the only issue in terms of duplication is if you import an existing hard-drive based image collection, once they're imported and uploaded you have to figure out what to do with the originals. For such a scenario, you could take the approach that once they've been uploaded and backed up in the cloud, it would be safe to delete the originals from the hard drive (or a better option could be to archive them as a backup perhaps). But if you want to "manage" the filtering of that original set of images into keepers and rejects, then deleting the rejects from that original set, then that would be easier to manage using Classic (though to be honest once you have a better feel for how this all works, using either option shouldn't be too difficult).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

if i understand well :

1. you have old pictures on your hard drive (you are not importing from a camera or and SD card)
  2. you import them in Lightroom CC
  3. Lightroom CC does not just upload them in the cloud, it first copies the picture in another folder on your hard drive and then upload them
  4. if you delete a picture on Lightroom CC it will delete the copies it has made earlier but not the files in their original folder in your hard drive.

If it's how it works, that would be nice to be clearer in the software...

If the lightroom CC could only upload the picture and manages the pictures on the hard drive in their original folders that would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your understanding is correct. It's done that way to avoid the risk of the user subsequently moving or deleting or renaming the originals before LRCC has completed the sync upload. It's the same principle that they use with the catalog migration tool....if you want to migrate the entire library from an LR Classic catalog, you will need free disk space in the chosen LRCC location that is at least equal to the total disk space used by the entire existing library.

Adobe are aware of the issue that this causes to users of large libraries, but only Adobe knows if it will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ! That's much clearer now.

I made a quick test : deleting a file even from Lightroom CC on the phone, delete it on the PC if Lightroom CC is open or right after launching it.

So you can delete photo from your phone as you commute and it will delete the files on the computer right after starting Lightroom CC. That's great !

However, with my 300Go of pictures i would have to upgrade my licence (student, all apps) to go from 100Go to 1To which makes the price soares from 30€/month to a massive 72€/month.

42€/month is the price of 900Go it seems .

Adobe : check your prices, they do not seem logical sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SimLft​, when you say deleting the photos also deleted them from the PC, was it the originals that got deleted or just the copy of the originals LRCC creates?

Is there a way to access the copy of images LRCC creates on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hasansheikh,

it deletes the copy.

in fact we should not call it copy but "files imported with LRCC".

when you import from a SD card (what we called "original files"), LRCC makes a copy of the files on your hard drive.

when you import from files already on your hard drive (that means you already copied the "original files" from an SD card to your computer not using LRCC importation),  LRCC makes a copy of the files elsewhere on your hard drive (you can choose where).

I can access the copy of my picture on my computer running on windows. I can't see why wouldn't be able to find them.

For me it's a folder name something like that "6cb36ce72b204XXXXX561ffz10c57" within a "Lightroom CC" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I had not synced my images to the cloud yet while using the LRCC trial, which has now expired. Is there a way I can access all my edits in the LR Classic CC? You mentioned by signing in I can access the LRCC edits, but since my photos had not been uploaded onto the cloud, these are not available in the LR Classic CC automatically as yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, did my question makes sense? Would really appreciate your input. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which question? The one about accessing the edits via LR Classic? If so, then no I'm not sure I understand. If you didn't sync the images/edits to the cloud via any of the LRCC Apps, then there's no way to access the edits you made there.

But come back if I haven't understood correctly, which is possible. LRCC will sync automatically when you add photos into it unless the user manually pauses sync.....is that what you did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is absurd.  I'm sure it's true, but it's absurd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines