• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What a waste of time! [New user struggling to migrate from Picasa to Lightroom]

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just spent a day becoming (and unbecoming) a new user of Lightroom CC. If only I had known that this supposedly modern software is not even capable of creating a folder structure from an existing windows folder structure! It is barely conceivable that a company such as Adobe could create a new product that wouldn't allow new users to migrate their photos in the same structure as they used in a previous product. I can't be alone in having thousands of photos collected over many years which I have painstakingly organised. What am I supposed to do? Spend days if not weeks manually creating thousands of folders and subfolders? My only surprise is that anyone would choose to use this product.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you didn't do your homework very well.

You might consider switching to the Photographers plan that includes both LR Classic CC (the Desktop centric version that does work with local image files) and Photoshop.

With that plan you can also use LR CC (the Cloud centric LR) on your desktop computer and the Mobile version used on mobile phones and pads.

Take a look at the tutorials for J Kost about the differences between them.

Julieanne Kost, Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only incompetent but patronizing to customers as well!!!

Doing homework on Lightroom is a nightmare from the start. Probably hard for you to imagine if you've used it for a long time. But when you create a new product with the same name as the old product and then give the old product the new name what chance have new users got?

I followed the advice on your website and in your video that said if you wanted to access and edit across photos across multiple devices on the go then to use Lightroom CC. As I said in my original post, who with even the most modest amount of computer experience would imagine that you would create such a product that couldn't copy an existing folder structure. By definition photos are cataloged so you must know that users keep photos in existing folders. Why would you not provide the ability to retain this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree it was extremely confusing of Adobe to name the ALL NEW LR version LR CC.

Hope you can get it figured out to your satisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phild3216889  wrote

Not only incompetent but patronizing to customers as well!!!

You obviously haven't realised that this is a User-to-User forum, i.e. users such as you come here to post a question or seek help with a problem, and other users such as the other posters here voluntarily give up their own free time to try to help. We are not Adobe staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, I didn't. I thought the response was from an Adobe employee. Apologies for any offence caused to anyone.

I'm just really annoyed that I've wasted a whole day. The first reply didn't help by saying 'You obviously haven't done your homework' when in fact half of that wasted day and a good bit of time before that was in fact homework.

It might be more obvious to users of older versions of Lightroom or Photoshop but for new users like myself (from Picasa/Windows as it happens) then it is a nightmare trying to work out the differences between two products with pretty much the same name.

There is very little help I've come across so far aimed at completely new users like myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/the-future-of-lightroom/

Then follow some of the links in that blog post, particularly the one that compares the feature sets of the two applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil,

If you migrated from Classic there are instructions for how to replicate your Folders (make Collections for them):

Migrate photos and videos from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC

However, if you have already migrated it is unfortunate. Starting over may help although, I think you may have to duplicate your Catalog and this could lead to further problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines