• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disks are full

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming this is common. I did all my look up. I transferred all my stuff to my flash drive in order to free up some space on my computer. I opened up PS and still message. Is there way to fix this problem, or do I have to get another computer with much bigger storage space for PS? If anyone can help me that'll be nice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free space do you have on your computer‘s C drive?  Do you have any empty drives you could set as secondary scratch?  Have you done a disk cleanup lately? You can change your scratch disks at start up by holding Ctrl and Alt (Cmd and Opt) and launching the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you add another scratch disk to photoshop? I only have one, my Mac, and its full. I've tried to clear files but it still says it's full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You buy a suitable disk (most are not) and plug it in. But you really need to first start with actual numbers.  How much space is on your disk before you start Photoshop? How big are your files in pixels, bit depth, layers? How much did you clear? How big is the disk? To crack this you need to take control of the numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In order to add another Scratch disk, you have to add an external or an additional internal hard drive.

It cannot be a USB stick drive or other temporary variation.

Once you have the drive installed and mounted properly (Photoshop has to be able to see the drive) go to your Scratch Disk preferences and check the drive. THEN highlight the new drive and use the arrows to the right to make it first in the list.

If you do not do both, your original hard drive will always remain the primary and fill up first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work.. photoshop just opened like usual. Then when I go to Preferences > Scratch Disk .. Im not able to change or un-select the scratch disk thats there.

So wtf do you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added a suitable new disk rjamains? How is it connected and formatted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only have your internal drive and its full, you are at risk of losing all of your files. Your computer is also going to perform poorly because the operating system needs free space to work.

You need to buy at least one external hard drive and plug it in. *Move* anything that you don't need backed up and *make a copy* of anything that you don't want to lose to the external hard drive. That will free up space on your internal drive.

You can get a quite large USB drive for US$100 or less. For the Mac, you want it formatted "HFS Extended"; many drives come formatted "ExFAT" which is designed for Windows. Disk Utility can handle that job.

Once you have the new drive plugged in, launch Photoshop and in the preferences you can select a new scratch disk.

You may want to consider offsite/cloud backup as well as an external hard drive. Losing your files would probably be much worse than a Photoshop error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines